Combat Mission Vietnamers Unite

I want a game where my soldiers are hated by the folks back home. I also would like to see a game in which my soldiers patrol countless turns through malaria infested jungle only to find there are no bad guys included in the scenario. Also, gimme a game in which operations consist of weeks worth of patrolling, highlighted only by the occasional GI stepping on a land mine (and of course the week would have to simulated in minute long turns).

I also would like to occasionally play as the NVA or VC. I think it would be fun to be an NVA Company subjected to Arc Light. Perhaps an optional Jane Fonda VC triple-A unit for firing at low flying F4’s would be nice. Barberella could be rendered in all her 3D splender. Now that would be a great game option.

I guess I wasted my breath....Geez I wonder how many more witty comments I'm gonna get on

"I'd love to play a game where you walk around in the jungle for a month and get to shoot your gun once while the enemy hides." It's almost funny the first hundred times i've read that all over the board.

But I did like the Jane Fonda comment though, that cracked me up.

Mord

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-28-2000).]

Maj Basco and Scout you both make good points. At first I thought it would be a great game for Combat Mission but in retrospect, having learned alot since I have been here,I know longer feel that way. But I'd still love to see a Nam game made! One that payed close attention to realism. I still say that it would be a game that was enjoyable for all the reasons I state before and a few more. thanks for the input.

Mord

If anyone's interested I will be posting a Vietnam scenario at the CMHQ depot tonight.

Title: Nam Mission

Type: Attack (Fictional)

Date: 1967

Weather: Heavy Fog

Length: 35 turns

This is a crude attempt to replicate small unit combat in Vietnam. Crude because so much is missing: no helicopters, no air support, no tunnel or bunker complexes, no confusion of combatant/ non-combatant; elements that more or less defined infantry combat in Vietnam. I have had to make many substitutions and adaptations: pine trees for

palm trees; marsh for paddies; small houses for thatched huts. Communist forces are represented by Axis forces: the Volkssturm as the Viet Cong; Volksgrenadiers as main force NVA units. I've used paratroopers to represent US infantry. Although the 101st, 173rd, and 82nd Airborne did fight in

Vietnam, the use of paratroopers in this scenario is not an effort to portray one of their actual firefights but simply to try to give US infantry maximum firepower (there are no M-16s, no M-60 MGs, no grenade launchers, no AK-47s, etc).