Use of machine gun question

This thought just popped into my pee brain.

When you have a machine gun(s) in a postion to see multiple targets are you better off not giving it target orders unless there is one specific target that you MUST get or should you allow the gun to target what it feels is the best target(s). The reason I ask this is because when you target one unit it will continue to shoot at that one target until it can't shoot anymore or the target is eliminated or moves out of the LOS. But maybe if you don't target a specific unit it will fire at the greatest threat until it feels it has suppressed that unit enough and then retargets another unit even if the initial target is still in LOS.

God I hope that made sense.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

OK which friggin MG of yours is targeting which of my troops you sneaking filthy bastard swine scum -weasle fart-knocker? I need to know so I can blow the hell out of him.

And the rest of you. No help for the Evil Elvis. He hammered me so bad the last time he was attacker in VoT that it took me three days of soaking in pure bleach to get the blood stains out of my undies.

Peng

PS - if you are trying to refer to the size of your brain as being as small as a PEA, you have spelled it incorrectly. If, on the other hand, you think your head is filled with urine, then you have spelled it correctly. I have odds on that it is the latter since you are like a stream of bat's piss - you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.

------------------

Peng sez "die a lot now."

[This message has been edited by MrPeng (edited 06-10-2000).]

I think dropping big hurt on a single unit, if the opportunity presents itself,is better than chipping away at a few. If you can hurt it enough, it loses combat effectiveness and you can "forget" (well, not literally) about it and dwell on other things.

Guest Big Time Software

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve, how many other weapons you can bring to bear for that purpose, and your level of intel on the area in question. For example, if you are trying to cover an advance, have adequate support weapons for the identified targets, and do not think there are many more surprises... best to assign direct firing orders. This ensures that you are covering all your bases evenly. Generally good idea to leave one or two units free to fire at whatever they like, though, because there most likely will be a situation that can not be anticipated.

If on the attack and you are under manned, don't really know what is there, then perhaps it is best to target one or two of the know threats and leave your other units to engage at will.

On the other hand, if you see one enemy unit that is causing more than its fair share of hurt upon you, then it might be a good idea to target it even if it means ignoring other known, but lesser, threats.

Sheesh... that doesn't really answer your question, does it? smile.gif

I guess what I am trying to say here is that there is no one right answer. In general it is good to use a mix of human designated targets and at least a couple that are left up to targeting chances that pop up during the turn. But if you are short on units you probably should target the worst enemy threat and just pretend that none of the other things can hurt you smile.gif

Steve

The few times I have played VoT as Germans (all of thrice) I let my MGs and pillboxes fire at whatever they wanted. My attempt in doing so was to disrupt the initial attack. And enemy units went in and out of LOS so fast that it seemed useless to assign any one target a a priority.

When the bullets really started flying, I gave more specific target orders to suppress a particular unit that was doing lots of damage.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK