M5A1 light tank

What a great light tank, blistering with machine guns and its 37 mm main gun can do some damage to light armored vehicles and infantry. I've watched it take a beating and keep going after gettting hit a few times.

I haven't used the T8 reconnaissance vehicle yet but it looks promising with its 50 cal. I do like the M8 HMC with its 75 mm howitzer it does pretty good at meduim to long range against infantry.

Guest Germanboy

I never buy one for PBEM games, the price/performance ratio is just not good enough on the M5 (better for the M8 Howitzer though). But I like to put them into scenarios I create. They were quite ubiquitous, and I like doing recon scenarios or scenarios involving recon troops, and on the Allied side these units had standard M5 and M8 equipment.

------------------

Andreas

The early version (Stuart) used by the Brits in North Africa was one of my favorites. This light tank, used as a main battle tank, really put it to the Italians. Still great as a recon vehicle in NW Europe. I would love to see this great game set in North Africa in 1942 around the Gazala Battles. One of my favorite tactical boardgames (remember them!) was Tobruk by AH. It would be great to create some of the scenarios from that game.

----------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airborne:

The early version (Stuart) used by the Brits in North Africa was one of my favorites. This light tank, used as a main battle tank, really put it to the Italians. Still great as a recon vehicle in NW Europe. I would love to see this great game set in North Africa in 1942 around the Gazala Battles. One of my favorite tactical boardgames (remember them!) was Tobruk by AH. It would be great to create some of the scenarios from that game.

----------Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Chris

I played Tobruk TOO and just recently dusted off my copy of it and pulled it out to look at the stats and Damage Result tables to see how those numbers compared to how CM plays now. I really believe that having learned about tank and armour combat in the Africa playing Tobruk, has helped me understand how CM works and how to play it better. It has been a long time, (20 years) since we sat down and used those damn combat result tables for EVERY round that an AFV fired, but it sure was fun back then! Ever since then I have dreamt of a computer game JUST LIKE Combat Mission.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just finished a Qucik battle where I was the allies and it was a metting engagement with ALL armour and all I got was 7 Stuarts with that crappy 37 main weapon.

Most of them got chewed up really quickly but one of them on the flank fired through a light building and in ONE minute fired 4 rounds and KO'd four German tanks from 450 meters, YES (Ok they were ALL flank shots, but..) one minute of combat this little heroic tank KO'd 2 Panzer IV H's 1 StuG and 1 Panzer IV G!!

It was delightful to watch.

I lost the scenario to the computer but it WAS fun anyway!

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>