Pillbox slit shots

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Guys,

Does the angle of a pillbox (Facing a tank) effect the chance of a slit shot as it does in real life?

What i am saying is if a sherman is firing at my pillbox head on he should have a better chance of a slit shot than say another sherman firing at an acute angle to the front slit.

The answer of course could effect positioning of the 75mm pillbox in VoT.

Any comments?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Hey CDIC, you're not seeking any extra edge for our upcoming "titanic struggle" are you? smile.gif

Since I haven't yet started placement yet I am "interested" in any answers as well. LOL

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 06-13-2000).]

Hi Jdmorse,

Any edge i can gain is welcome, not that i have needed any edge so far! (I would insert a smilie if i could be bothered to find out how to do it!)

I am looking forward to get your set up files.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

From what I've been able to tell, the ONLY chance of hitting the slit comes when shooting at the side of the pillbox with the slit. IOW, you have to be in the pillbox's field of fire to do it. If you are to the side, you'll see a 0% chance of a kill, which I assume means you can't get through the several feet of unpierced concrete you're facing, although sometimes you can get a lucky hit anyway, it seems.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Hi Bullethead,

Yes indeed we are talking about the front face of the pillbox. If i place my pillbox at an angle from where i expect to see the shermans appear will it give my pillbox a better chance of survival? This in effect will narrow down the chance of a slit shot....maybe???

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest grunto

SPOILER INFO ON VOT BELOW: GERMAN DEFENSIVE ANALYSIS:

i'm not sure about the angle of the shot affecting the chance of a slit hit, but you can set up your pillboxes so they have a narrow field of vision/fire. the problem with the vot scenario is that if you're german things can easily go badly from the start. i've found that my 'perfect defense' all of the sudden isn't so perfect for what the american is actually doing. sometimes you can foil the americans but even at +25% germans if the americans are a bit careful they can generally still win.

in any case for me the choice for germans in vot is between fighting with everything at the start (the kitchen sink approach), or waiting in ambush. the problem with fighting with everything - putting all of your pillboxes and machineguns and even some of your squads out in the open and going toe to toe with any americans you see from the start - is that if you lose the 75mm pillbox the machinegun pillboxes are suddenly easy targets for any remaining sherman 105(s). if however you toast the sherman 105s with the pillbox and you have all of your machineguns going, that would seem to be a good start to the scenario. if your 150 is firing away better yet. if the american is left without his 2 shermans your guns can harass his force until a) his offboard artillery gets you or B) his second batch of shermans come on. rarely do the 2nd batch of shermans also fall to the 75mm pillbox.

the american usually has at least 2 shermans left to fight the panther. sometimes he has 6 if everything has gone well.

the other german strategy is to wait in ambush. there are some hiding places on the board which will allow you to fight the americans at close range. a lot of it depends upon where you set up and where the americans attack. i was in one scenario where i caught the germans with all 5 of my platoons and all 6 shermans against a single german platoon. my force made quick work of them. so far that has been my best scenario as americans. in another one i'm getting bled white by a determined german resistance. they're out of artillery support, out of machinegun ammo, and down to a couple of platoons awaiting the outcome of a 2-sherman versus 1-panther duel taking place at the top of the hill on the east edge of the map. if the shermans win they will press the attack on plomville. if the shermans lose these infantry will see if they have any chance left. as it is the shermans are 'ticked in' just under the lip of the hill behind some trees, and the panther is just over the crest, probably hull down. they're all within 100 meters but cannot see.

2 platoons tried a frontal assault on plomville and were killed by an mg42 on hill 209 as they crawled toward the now burning town center. there is an isolated rifle team - half a squad - in the town. there are dead squads and unit commanders everywhere.

hopefully this next attack will decide things as i see the germans don't have many units left. the reinforcements which arrived with the panther were shredded when they tried to rush the lead sherman 105 just over the hill.

anyway the plomville attack... it was a low crawl across 200 meters of more-or-less open ground... it sure went to show... don't go crawling across open ground until that mg42 is out of action...

it sure spells 'no reserves' late in a battle like this because 'the reserves' are the only guys left standin' and they're fixin' bayonets for that final assault on plomville once that little tank duel is decided that is...

-g-

andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

From what I've been able to tell, the ONLY chance of hitting the slit comes when shooting at the side of the pillbox with the slit. IOW, you have to be in the pillbox's field of fire to do it. If you are to the side, you'll see a 0% chance of a kill, which I assume means you can't get through the several feet of unpierced concrete you're facing, although sometimes you can get a lucky hit anyway, it seems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are that far around the pillbox, just keep going around to the back and shoot at the door. That was a pleasant surprise for me when I got a Sherman 105 on the flank of the 75mm pillbox. I figured I could sit and blast my way through, but no dice due to the 0% chance. So, I kept going so I could find and destroy the German mortars. Once the Sherm got around back, it turned the turret and got a one-shot kill on the pillbox. The damage info said, "Rear door penetration." Then to my merciless glee, the Sherm shot up the surviving crew, too.

• 3 months later...

What, would you say, are the chances of a slit shot happening? I remember when I was demoing the VoT scenario (way back when) I got one off the bat. I haven't thought much of it since, but now I'm thinking I was really really lucky.

Is it even worth trying for a slit shot, or is it more of a 1 in a 100 chance? Seems to me that would be a hell of a shot for a gunner at any range longer than 100 yards.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spacewrangler:

What, would you say, are the chances of a slit shot happening? I remember when I was demoing the VoT scenario (way back when) I got one off the bat. I haven't thought much of it since, but now I'm thinking I was really really lucky.

Is it even worth trying for a slit shot, or is it more of a 1 in a 100 chance? Seems to me that would be a hell of a shot for a gunner at any range longer than 100 yards.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This came up several months ago. The upshot was that the word 'slit' can be somewhat misleading. I have a photo of a hardened gun position for an 88 that was part of the Atlantic Wall. There is a soldier standing up in the "slit".

Not claiming that they were all that big, but they were not tiny targets either.

Michael