4.5 Canuk vs US 4.5

Hans

The American arty was so superior to the Lumberjacking beer drinking canadians that they had to make it more expensive. I hope this didnt offend anyone becasue theres a ton of Canadians here. If so I am sorry and you can make fun of Yemen, becasue thats where I am from. J/K America has a ton of stuff you can bash, no dont bash america, bash me, becasue Im a loser

Guest Michael emrys

This is interesting. I've wondered about the inclusion of that caliber for the U.S. forces anyway, since that was a non-standard caliber for the U.S. I had assumed that it represented fire from an off-shore British destroyer. If that's the case, it might explain why it's more expensive for the Americans, since it would require going through a few more channels to obtain.

Is still available after the June-July battles?

Michael

Both Brit/Canadian 4.5" and US 4.5" have 40 rounds. Only difference is nominal response time - 3 minutes for Brit/Canadian versus only 2 minutes for US. You pay for the quicker response.

British 4.5" was inititally developed for its range (superior to that of the 5.5") - but eventually it was felt the lighter shell was not worth it & so was largely droppped after the war.

The US 4.5" was a development of an earlier 4.7" T3 design. It was decided in 1940 that with the US & British likely to be operating together commonality of ammunition would be useful so it was changed to 4.5" and fired the same British designed ammunition as that used by the British 4.5". The guns, although firing the same shell were otherwise different. Although largely used for training by the US, it saw frontline service in Italy/Europe in Medium Field Arty Bttns from the invasion of Italy to the end of the war.