Gold Demo Ate Beta!

While I'm delighted to add my voice to the chorus of rejoicing over the release of the CM Gold demo and the soon to follow release of the full CM, it is my sad duty to report a cyberdisaster.

I'm running a 233 MHz iMac, with 64 MB of RAM, 2 MB of VRAM (stock ATI RAGE video card for Gen 1 iMac), under OS 8.6 at 800x600 resolution.

Since I'm not all here today, I haven't actually played the demo yet, but I have looked at a few things. I thought that things looked a bit blurry, so I shut down the Gold demo and opened up the Beta demo folder. What I saw so confused me that I thought I'd mistakenly opened the Gold Demo folder, but I hadn't. The new icons from the Gold demo were in my Beta demo folder!

Apparently, when the Mac binary self-extracted, it parked itself not only in the Gold demo folder, where it belonged, but also entered and overwrote my Beta demo folder, effectively turning it into another Gold demo and wiping out my Beta demo entirely.

Has anyone else had this happen, or am I the first? I really wanted to do some comparisons of the graphics in the two demos. Also, I've read lots of posts today and saw something about a 640x480 default. Maybe that's why things seem somewhat fuzzy.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest Big Time Software

You beta demo didn't get eaten. smile.gif

The Gold demo simply has an icon that the beta demo didn't have. Both apps have the same "signature" so the Finder applies the icon to both. Nothing actually changed in your beta demo files.

But hey, why would you want to play with the old beta demo anyway? It's a dinosaur, man! smile.gif

Charles

Guest aaronb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

But hey, why would you want to play with the old beta demo anyway? It's a dinosaur, man! smile.gif

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Cause it has Last Defence. I'll miss the old gal. Simple, yet interesting tactical challenges, manageable size, Hellcats.

Guest KwazyDog

Hehe, I actually started the beto demo the other day just to see how far things have come. Damn, they have and then some smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>'Cause it has Last Defence. I'll miss the old gal. Simple, yet interesting tactical challenges, manageable size, Hellcats.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries, we've included Last Defense and Riesberg with the full version of the game.

Charles

Charles,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Even though Riesberg and Last Defense are still in the Beta demo folder, thus theoretically available, when I click on one of them to call it up I get the Gold demo screen, music, etc. Nor is either of the above listed scenarios available for play. The graphics are Gold demo also, the new church stonework being a major clue.

If the old beta's still there, I don't know how to reach it.

Finally, I've tried to read the Gold demo instructions, but can't access the file. How do I do this, please?

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest Big Time Software

Launch your beta demo by clicking directly on the beta demo application icon, not the scenario icon(s).

The Gold demo instructions are in HTML format. You can open the file in your internet browser.

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... Perhaps because I want to finish the PBEM games I still have running right now?

Dschugaschwili