Starshells

Excellent Bullethead, and well thought out. I'll leave it to those munitions experts in the crowd to figure out the finite details. But from my reading of the thread, then I gather the hold back is that BTS is in want of documentation on the subject? Surely there must be a method of acquiring munitions data and historical deployment documentation. I'm presuming an exhaustive investigation has already taken place? Like at the US Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Red River, Letterkenny, Anniston, Blue Grass, Corpus Christi, and Tobyhanna Army Depots, to name a few. I mean besides the National Archives and Library of Congress. Or, I guess it might be the issue of time, personnel, and resources involved?

Hmmm, well I seen Vic Morrow use starshells. Ya know, I really miss him. Why do I feel old.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

We have talked about all this in detail on the beta list. I'm pretty sure there will be nothing before CM2 since it requires some engine changes due to how we see light modeled in the game. (more so teh actual graphic representation) It's not an issue of research materials, it's an engine issue and a design issue.

Los

(A big fan of starhells and whatnot.)

This subject has been discussed to death long ago and it was decided not to include star shells because the designers felt that the shells were not typically used in tactical situations during night combat. The consensus was that the shells hindered more than they helped due to the illumination. I personally disagree with this assesment.

As far as coding star shells in, this would be a pain because you would have to model the illumination effects. This is not trivial. At this point CM1 is pretty much wrapped up except for tweaks to the AI. BTS priorites are adding internet support to CM1 and staring work on CM2. I personally much prefer BTS put their efforts there rather than catering to every whim or idea.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith:

As far as coding star shells in, this would be a pain because you would have to model the illumination effects.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As regards this aspect, have you seen what Bullethead has to say about it in the thread "BH's Arty Wish List"? He has a low-tech interim solution.

Michael