Individual Soldier Sprites!

Major Tom: I hope your vision is correct. Even Close Combat doesn't permit individual manipulation of troops; unless, of course, it's a sniper. I hope for squad control and troop orders to remain the same in CM, but individual animation and representation would be sublime. Someday perhaps. Cheers, John

Individual soldiers aren't needed, just more realistic-looking ones. The vehicles and terrain all look awesome, but then when you put those stick men in, it really ruins the effect.

Hopefully, CM2 will have improved 3D models for the troops.

------------------

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht, der Tag glühend heiß oder eiskalt die Nacht, bestaubt sind die Gesichter, doch froh ist unser sinn, ja unser sinn, es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin

-- Panzerlied

Sgt. Steiner wrote:

> The vehicles and terrain all look awesome, but then when you put those stick men in, it really ruins the effect.

Enhancing the realism of the soldier models would have exactly the same effect as multiplying the number of soldiers – the polygon count would go through the roof, and your computer would grind to a halt. It so happens that you can texture a couple of boxes and end up with a realistic vehicle or building. Soldiers are far more complex, so at the moment they cannot be visually realistic.

Personally, I have never been bothered about the soldier models at all. Sure, they're not as fancy-looking as the characters in Unreal or Quake, but there are far more of them in CM. This means that the polygon count would be too high if you put Quake characters in a CM context, but more importantly, in order to keep an eye on all of your soldiers you can't spend all your time zoomed in to one or two of them. I rarely zoom in at all, so for my purposes the soldiers are great.

It is just the case that CM, being modelled in 3D, allows you to zoom right in to the point where you notice that things could be more realistic. But you can hardly fault it. If you compare it to Quake, sure, it's not quite as impressive, but that comparison is irrelevant for the aforementioned reasons.

Close Combat is a good comparison. First of all, orientate the camera in CM so that it looks like CC. It looks remarkably similar, except that the terrain is more rigid and less varied. But what else can you do in CC? You can zoom in, and examine all the nice pixels. If you could zoom in as far as you can in CM, the result would be ugly and functionless. And you can't reorientate the camera at all.

What I am getting at is, Combat Mission is pushing the envelope. It has taken wargaming into First-Person Shooter territory. The problem is, people then start to compare the graphical realism to First-Person Shooters. That will only be a fair comparison when Quake allows you to have 100 people running around the battlefield at once, and allows you to zoom out and hover over the battlefield, watching these 100 people fighting from a distance.

David

button.gif

First the disclaimer's. Slightly OT. I'm NOT a WWII buff, aficionado, expert, or anything else. LOVE this game. Recently, ABC ran a piece on WWII photographer's/reporters. There was a photo segment, about the Marines, (I think it was on Siapan, see above disclaimer's if I'm wrong on the locale), wherein a Japanese woman threw her child and herself off a cliff rather than surrender to a Marine photographer who allegedly had his camera mounted on a rifle stock. Supposedly the Japanese had been filled with propaganda that to be a US Marine you had to do something like murder your parents or something to get in which in theory precipitated the woman's actions. This is the kind of stuff that happens in war. It has been said that no one prays for peace more than a soldier. Having been one, and now in a similar profession, that rings true for me. What I'm saying is that as to the, "gore" issue, given this game IS so realistic in other ways, I'm glad BTS has toned it down a bit. They got It about right IMO. Not trying to be overly dramatic or emotional. Yes I know it is a GAME. Just relating how it effects me. Did I say I LOVE the game? I do. Oh and just to look doubly stupid I've gone and posted this mini diatribe to the wrong thread. It should be under the, "Blood", thread. I go now. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Dalwhinnie (edited 12-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dalwhinnie (edited 12-16-2000).]