Black Ice Defender and CM TCP/IP

Does anyone use Black Ice defender? It appears that with this program running, it detects those attempting to join in a game that I attempted to host as attacks and requested that I block them. I did and it permanently blocked their address. Has anyone else experienced this problem using Black Ice Defender? I have disabled the program and want to test and see if it was indeed the problem. Email me and I will set up a quick battle to see if you can join in. Thanks! IP Address 207.069.039.225

------------------

Webmaster http://www.trailblazersww2.org http://www.vmfa251.org

[This message has been edited by Frenchy (edited 12-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Frenchy (edited 12-02-2000).]

Guest kking199

hey frenchy, I can tell ya that BI was blocking attempts at ICQ file transfer, so I would not be surprised if it was blocking a TCP/IP game. I disabled, but I just started messing with it, so don't know a lot about it.

There is a text file, firewall.ini, that BlackIce Defender uses for it's firewall configuration. At least when I fooled around with BlackIce half a year ago, it was the only way to change the firewall settings. I did a quick knowledge base search at NetworkIce and came up with the follow article, that describes the format of firewall.ini.

http://advice.networkice.com/Advice/Support/KB/q000091/default.htm

All you need to do is add a line that opens up the port that CM uses. It looks like CM use 7023 as the host port. I sure someone knows the correct port(s) to open up.

If you use Black Ice Defender, you must delete it in order to host a game. It will allow you to join in on one but not host. It acts as a firewall, producing a false IP and prevents anyone to join. This was determined after 24+ hours of trial and error. I just played my first game (I hosted) and won. What an intense battle!

Hope this helps.

Guest kking199

Couple things Frenchy, you don't have to uninstall BlD to keep it from installing. Click on "Start", select "Run", type in "msconfig", click on the "Startup" tab. In here you can now select what you do/don't want loading at startup, IF BID was still installed you would see "LoadBlackD", you could then just uncheck it. BTW.. you may find some other things you may not want loading as well.

My experience is once BlD has blocked something then even bringing down the level of protection won't change it's position on what it has previously blocked. So looks like playing with the .ini would be the way to go.

I've hosted with BID installed, I had to 'stop' the engine, but did not have to delete program. Right click on the BID icon in the systray and you will have a menu option to 'Stop BlackIce engine'. Click there and host away. When finished with CMBO right click and select the 'Start engine' option.

btw. this works w/2.1.32. Earlier versions may be different.