AI is as stupid as hell.

Situation was this, I have one tank and APC behind building and there were two enemy tanks coming from the road and I want to ambush them with my tank. So I lay down

supressive fire with my APC to few enemy

crew members in open behind building.

So what does tank it isn't ambushing at

all but points its gun to enemy crew members?! And when enemy tanks came in sight behind building It doesn't have time to turn its turret and my tank was gone. I was so pissed off, I almost throw monitor out of window :)

If some member in developing group reads this message, please add more commands to tanks so they keep their targets and not just spinning their turrets madly. I have version 1.04.

... I recommend that you use the search option on the top right of your screen. This isue was discussed less then 12H ago...

"If some member in developing group reads this message" ---> If one reads this you got there 50% of the developing group smile.gif... Thank God this is not like any Micro$oft or E# Game$ or other big $$$ company ...

This is a prodoct directly from the "maker" to the gamer... and a damn good product it is!

João

Quenaelin,

to enhance your chances with such an ambush, first use the AMBUSH option from the tanks menu and put the marker near the point where the enemy tank will appear.

Second, TARGET the enemy tank, even if it is out of sight at the moment.

This is kind of a pre-designation of the target and it was stated somewhere else, that your tank will engage this target, when it comes in view.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

Guest Big Time Software

Well, keep in mind that the behavior that you are mad about was put in at the suggestion of your fellow gamers, and done so without weeks of testing as we probably should have done. So 1.05 should fix this problem (AFAIK).

Keep in mind that we can not come up with one set of rules that will work 100% of the time 100% the way you want them. Doesn't mean the existing setup is the best it can get, just a friendly reminder that there is only so much we can do short of hardwiring a real human tanker's brain into the computer smile.gif

Steve

Wow! Took a little over 2 hours for an answer directly from the designer, I'm impressed! And I'm sure Tanaka's about to tell me to go look at the Search Option to see all the other times they've done this! LOL!

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

[This message has been edited by Goofy (edited 08-24-2000).]

hmmm...

"I'm sure Tanaka's about to tell me to go look at the Search Option to see all the other times they've done this! LOL!"

YES.. I do like/use the search option alot smile.gif

"You don't by any chance have family living in Ireland do you?"

I don´t think so...what makes you ask that ?

... or Is this some Anglo-Saxonic joke ? wink.gif

João

[This message has been edited by Tanaka (edited 08-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanaka:

"or Is this some Anglo-Saxonic joke ? wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. I may have to use that line in my sig from now on.

BTW, the Irish are neither Angles or Saxons, as they would be quick to inform you. But perhaps you know that already??

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Do the Irish speak Celta ?... I guess not... Does an American speak Sioux... Most of them don´t... They all (Irish/American) speak English

Now you understand what I mean wink.gif

João

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanaka:

Do the Irish speak Celta ?... I guess not...

João

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gaelic. A lot of Irish speaks Gaelic, and beware of calling them Anglo or Saxons smile.gif

Ariel

Kelt in disguise.

[This message has been edited by argie (edited 08-24-2000).]

There was this situation again with version 1.05 I was behind the houses with my tank and ambushing one spot at about 300m, but enemy tanks came at view suddenly behind one house closer (at 150m) than ambush marker and my tank isn't spotting them at all even they were in line of sight of that tank?!

Thank you for your effort, but I think there

is still bugs or lag of Intelligence in AI So I was thinking few main conditional states for tank:

1. if enemy AT-vehicle/weapon is in line of sight spot it/kill it.

2. if enemy AT-vehicle/weapon was spotted in this turn move turret towards it.

even if it disappears and even if there were other lesser threts.

3. if ambush is marked still spot/kill every AT-vehicle/weapon in line of sight. but don't bother to contact lesser threats.

4. if there is two AT-vehicel/weapons coming from both sides engage/kill closer threat and move cover/out of sight from other distant threat if cover is available.

(So you don't have to swivel your turret all the time and get killed eventually)

At least these few rules are valid for every tanker with human intelligence also, so they don't lose their lives so easily in real life.

I know it is hard to code good AI in games, but I hope you make it better all the time. Combat Mission is still best turn based strategy game that I have ever played.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>my tank isn't spotting them at all even they were in line of sight of that tank<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is your tank buttoned? Spotting is not instantaneous in CM. If your tank is buttoned it is even slower.

Are you sure they had los to that tank?

You must use the los tool to determine this. Visual inspection is insufficient due to scaling of the units (default is +2 I think). Also los is determined to the centre of mass so it may have only just appeared.

The tacAI is not perfect but in my experience it is better than your comments tend to suggest, especially in recent patches. Therefore my inclination is that other factors are also involved in the behaviour you describe.

Oh, yes it is, I give you another example enemy squad is open behind house and my tank sees glance from enemy tank and starts to turn it turret towards it but enemy tank disappears behind trees and then my tank switched its target to enemy squad which is behind tank and is turning its turret opposite from primary threat. That is Artificial Insanity I think, nobody sane tank crew DONT turn its turret from primary threat even it momentarely disappears.

How far away is the enemy squad?

Is it approaching?

Does some other of your units fired at it?

My "normal" infantry squads killed quite a lot of tanks in close combat while approaching them from the rear.

I guess that you would have blamed the AI too, if the tank would NOT have turned to meet the infantry threat and the grunts had toasted your tank...

Send some infantry with your tanks; they will engage the enemy infantry and the tank can concentrate on enemy tanks.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

I'll have to concur Fred. Tank in front, infantry behind...your tank is outflanked and apparently has raced ahead of your covering infantry.

As one who has lost many tanks due to over-boldness with the armor, try laying back a little with the tank. I know the house my be a good cover and ambush location. It might be best though to secure your rear before laying an ambush. I also know sometimes (especially if you're the allies) that getting an ambush at 300m is almost mandatory because of the lack of punch from your main gun. Manuever is important and hard to achieve sometimes. I have found that I am playing better now that I'm used to the way things "happen". I still sometimes yell at the screen at my tanks saying "there it is, kill it!" But by that time they are buttoned and while I can see the threat, they may not be able to. Knowing this, I try and afford my tankers the best possible situation: when engaging enemy armor, make sure they have no other threats.

Sneaky