OT --- Steel Beasts Demo

Dl'ed this last night and have been mucking about with it some. 3D modern armor simulation (M1 and Leopard vs T-72 and T-80, with APC's, troops, arty, etc). Graphics engine seems a little pixilitious at close range, but it provides for some very realistic effects! Very interesting, I must say! Even comes with a limited scenario editor (10 units, max).

Any of you professional tankers out there give it a whirl yet? I'm interested in what somebody who's done this for a living thinks of it...

HI,

I am a M1A1 Tank Commander and Steel Beasts looks good so far. Not as much eye candy as other releases, but like CM, good realism and put together by hard-working guys.

In fact, when the Steel Beasts guys where looking for a publisher, I thought for sure BattleFRont would hope on it.

Jeff

Guest Rupert

I'm downloading the demo now !! Is it as good

as everyone says??? And now

M1 Tank Platoon 3 is not going ahead !!!

That will be 2 games now to wait for !!

(Combat Mission the other. )

Guest GriffinCheng

SteelBeasts are developed by a small German developer (just like the ppl behind Panzer Elite) and it is published by Shrapnel Games. I read about it last year from cdmag and simhq. It is a non-accel and too bad they do not have the resources to make it. Sound to me it is THE successor of M1TP.

Griffin @ work

Guest OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer

If I understand the modern Abrahams (sp?) tank, with laser sighting et al it rarely misses!(?) I guess I am one of those who doesn't go much for post WWII stuff either. Radar guided missiles, never seeing the enemy except for a "blip" on a sreen - whether it's tanks, planes or ships - I prefer to rely on good old sight and sound. Provided of course it's just a game.

------------------

"They are coming on in the same old way."

"Yes, and we shall meet them in the same old way!"

Steel Beasts does indeed rock ... too bad you can't use some Russian armor. One thing I learned from the Steel Beast tutorial is that the laser rangefinder may burn out with too much use ... interesting fact. I'm used to M1 Tank Platoon 2 and I must say Steel Beasts kicks its ass in terms of targeting, M1TP2 its too hard to hit a moving target IMHO ... I leave it to my gunner. Why oh why was Tank Platoon! cancelled?! First tank game where I could use a Russian tank, the T-80UM2 Black Eagle, along with the Leopard 2A5 and the Challenger 2 and its cancelled ... it just sucks.

Oops! Sorry about not posting the link --- had to jet!

Yah, I've never been one for all that "modern" laser-sighted, GPS-tracked, terminal-radar-guided, one-shot-one-kill crap either. (I like to see my opponents expression when I hand him his arse!) But I heard good things about Steel Beasts and decided to check it out. In a lot of ways it kinda reminds me of CM: The whole 3D battlefield concept, well executed physics-based ballistics and targeting, obviously put together by somebody who did their homework. Overall it doesn't have the pollish and depth of CM --- but it doesn't need it. It's a tank simulator (though you can command a full platoon), and the depth goes into the detail of your individual M1 (or Leopard). Don't know if it's German, but the language choices are English, Deutch, and Svenske...

All that technological gadgetry takes a little getting used to (I think there's something like 15 or so different sight/targeting combinations, dependant on your situation and/or damage). Whoever said every shot is a sure kill hasn't tried to "lase and blaze" a fast-moving T-80 at 3000m! And remember: If you can see them, they can see you!

If the game is as well done as the demo, it'll be on my hard-drive for awhile...

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Well, I've tried it and talk about dated graphics! Graphics look something in between M1TP and M1TP2. But anyway, the gunnery is very complicated/realistic, but I could not figure out the driving thing.

Has anybody tried NovaLogic's Armored Fist series?

------------------

"When in doubt...shell."

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Has anybody tried NovaLogic's Armored Fist series?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, stay away form them...no matter how cheap they are in the 'bargin bins'.

I for one LOVE post WW2 stuff. Especially the smaller, man to man stuff. Anyone else play AH's "Firepower"? Only board game I truely WORE OUT. Didn't lose the counters mind you, we wore them out. smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I got bored of Modern Wargaming after iM1A2 and Steel Panthers 2.

iM1A2:

"Oh, god! We've been ambushed!"

"Doesn't matter! Just put our front armor towards them and we can plink them off at a rate of one every five seconds!"

Steel Panthers 2:

"Wow, Captain! They've got an entire regiment facing our Company team!"

"No problem, Sergeant. I've got my Brads and Abrams in brilliantly devised positions..."

(HOUR AND A HALF LATER, 300 TOW LAUNCHES AND 500 120MM ROUNDS FIRED)

"You know, sir, you were only half right. We won the battle. . ."

"But we lost the war due to utter boredom. I know, Sergeant. Oh, the horror..."

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

What's wrong with the Armored Fist series??

I haven't tried them at all, just wondering..

------------------

"When in doubt...shell."

Guest Scott Clinton

Jeff: It is obvious you have been playing the wrong games for this era.

OBG: IMO, lack of realism. I would stick with SB.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Rupert

your right !!! Armored Fist series stank big time ! I was given the last one for Xmas, and i think a played it once !!! Delta Force in tanks.. ??? Couldn't give it away !!

And it is a shame about Tank Platoon 3, Must

have been the first time you get to use a Challenger 2 & T 80..Getting a bit sick of the M1. Though have you played Gunship 3 ???

That must be the worse Sim ever !!! Could be a good thing that they canned it.

It was just a really bad shoot them up !!!