How much do we appreciate BTS?

I for one really appreciate the well built, supported game the BTS guys/gals have made in this day of "send the game out early" type attitudes. It gives me hope that there is indeed hope for the software industry when someone can:

1) Release a game that works VERY well right outta the box

2) Is supported by staff on their BB

etc..etc

I, for one, am very impressed with BTS and won't hesitate to buy another from this company. I don't quite understand why other games come out of the gate so poorly sometimes and i think this games helps support my point...a relatively low overhead team making a game that works splendidly, and has sold out 5+ times already even without instore advertising!...to me, that's pretty remarkable and i hope other bigger companies start to get the point i have known for years (gee...u don't have to be a rocket scientist) Release a bad, unsupported game, and word travels fast...despite the millions spent on hype hehe...release a great game and show a genuine love for it like these folks do, then the word spreads likewise. Hail to the smarter gamer and "good on ya" to the folks at BTS.......thanks

Fox Keri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fox:

I don't quite understand why other games come out of the gate so poorly sometimes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they are rushed to market to meet an artificial deadline (usually, the pre-Christmas shopping crush, when the majority of games are purchased).

This follows from:

1) The decision-makers of the larger companies have responsibilities to stock-holders and ownership that outweigh any love they may have for their games.

2) Programmers routinely under-estimate the amounts of time and resources required to complete a given task.

3) Project managers induce "feature-creep" and the final specification is a moving target, often requiring 2 steps backward to go an additional step forward.

People are human and business is business, though the consumer often attributes the above to evil greed, which is more readily understood. In fact, it is often the consumer who is stamping his feet saying "Where is my game?? It's late!!!" who drives this rush, only to find that he has received a buggy, ill-tested product for his pains.

It is rare to have major products which are truly "labors of love". We are most fortunate.

Yep...i agree Mark, but i sincerely think that in the long run...releasing such games is indeed BAD for the stockholders etc. The claim that these guys are droppin like flies outta business because of poor sales is a reflection of the quality of the games issued....its really gotta hurt if even 20% of folks return a game because it isn't running right, isn't supported, and just plain blows...even if the game idea in of itself is genius.

I believe this very active forum is a huge plus for the game and for the company. I am impressed by the game's realism and playability. I am very grateful that it is quite stable in my Win98 environment. I won't continue with the lauding though.

However, I do want to express my gratitude to the makers of Combat Mission for doing the "right thing" and waiting until it was a good product before shipping it. Kudos to you folks at BTS!!

------------------

-Work Hard

-Type Fast

-Save Often