What makes a rifle grenade fly?

Do you use normal cartridge or a special one?

Is it the gas pressure,

or does the bullet actually hit the grenade?

Of course I could look this up from a book, but I guess

someone here must know. smile.gif

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Do you use normal cartridge or a special one?

Is it the gas pressure,

or does the bullet actually hit the grenade?

Of course I could look this up from a book, but I guess

someone here must know. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the use a balistite cartridge, more power but no projectile. Modern rifle grenades use a bullet trap so you can use normal ball ammunition and not have to worry about carrying and loading special ammo to fire a grenade

I think there were also some "shoot through" rifle grenades but this too might be a modern invention. With the old system of using special cartridges there was always the danger in the heat of action, through carelessness or poor training of firing a ball round into your rifle grenade - ugly!

I think the British No. 68 cup rifle grenade was a HEAT round but it doesn't seem to appear in CM. Was it little used? - or usually only vs inf? Maybe the squads thought they had enough to carry with ammo for the 2" mortar! smile.gif

Guest Michael emrys

A related question: Are the rifle grenades in CM used only against armored vehicles, or can they be used against all targets?

Michael

Maybe you should do the dot product on his shoulder Norwood.

Some people would like you to follow up in the AP vs HE long barrel short barrel thread. I know I would.

Speaking of wood. I believe the germans had a wooden bullet for firing rifle grenades. According to Burgett in one of his books a german used one as a regular bullet (low on ammo perhaps) and it produced a horrible wound.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

You're not supposed to fire them from the shoulder - you plant your rifle butt in the ground.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was my Dad's point. To be honest, it sounds like the kind of story someone would make up eventually if it didn't really happen. But as so many say, the weirdest things DO happen.

(And he had the 20 years, so who am I do question?)

Well, I am sure you could get someone to explain this, but here goes...

A mummy rifle grenade fly and a Daddy rifle grenade fly sort of get together and go to bed together. They do something only grown ups do, and then the Mummy rifle grenade fly lays some eggs. These hatch into rifle grenade lava.......

(think about it)

I just couldn't pass up this chance to throw in another one of those U.S. Army Combat Lessons from the 1945 publication... smile.gif

Quote:

From the Twelfth Army Group, ETO: "An infantry regiment has found that the 60-mm mortar shell HE may be fired from the M1 rifle by means of the grenade launcher M7 and the fragmentation-grenade projection adapter M1. Six inches of wire per shell and a pair of pliers are the only additional materials needed.

PREPARATION - First remove the increments from the mortar shell. Bend outward the finger of the grenade adapter that is designed to receive the handle of the fragmentation grenade. Then insert the fins of the mortar shell into the fingers of the grenade adapter. Finally, tie a piece of wire around the tips of the fingers of the grenade adapter, thus securing the shell to the adapter.

METHOD OF FIRING - The rifle normally is fired from the kneeling position with butt resting on the ground. An angle of 45 degrees will give a maximum range of 100 to 110 yards; 60 degrees will give 85 yards range; 70 degrees will five 60 yards range.

Low-angle fire can also be used and is especially effective when firing into thick hedgerow foliage to produce tree bursts.

CAUTION - Grenadier must pull safety pin before firing! ...It should not be fired over the heads of friendly troops.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marty:

I just couldn't pass up this chance to throw in another one of those U.S. Army Combat Lessons from the 1945 publication... :)

Quote:

From the Twelfth Army Group, ETO: "An infantry regiment has found that the 60-mm mortar shell HE may be fired from the M1 rifle by means of the grenade launcher M7 and the fragmentation-grenade projection adapter M1. Six inches of wire per shell and a pair of pliers are the only additional materials needed.

PREPARATION - First remove the increments from the mortar shell. Bend outward the finger of the grenade adapter that is designed to receive the handle of the fragmentation grenade. Then insert the fins of the mortar shell into the fingers of the grenade adapter. Finally, tie a piece of wire around the tips of the fingers of the grenade adapter, thus securing the shell to the adapter.

METHOD OF FIRING - The rifle normally is fired from the kneeling position with butt resting on the ground. An angle of 45 degrees will give a maximum range of 100 to 110 yards; 60 degrees will give 85 yards range; 70 degrees will five 60 yards range.

Low-angle fire can also be used and is especially effective when firing into thick hedgerow foliage to produce tree bursts.

CAUTION - Grenadier must pull safety pin before firing! ...It should not be fired over the heads of friendly troops.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marty,

My recently deceased uncle George served in a Navy unit called Boat Two with Patton. Boat Two drove M-26 tank retrievers carrying one LCM (Landing Craft, Mechanized) per retriever and used the LCMs to move troops and tanks across rivers during the advance.

According to my uncle, it was also possible to unscrew the hollow charge warhead from a bazooka rocket and replace it with a 60mm mortar warhead. Apparently, they had the same thread. The resulting round was then used in streetfighting by firing it into a window or other opening. Upon hitting a wall or other interior surface, the round would detonate, much to the detriment of any room occupants.

Regards,

John Kettler