Add on packs

Don't know if this has been answered anywhere before, so don't get mad at me for asking but will there be add on packs like North Africa, Italy, Eastern Front, Balkans? And then Pacific? I know the game JUST came out too, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Been covered many, many, many times.

BTS will follow up with:

CM2: Eastern Front--working title "Barbarossa & Beyond"

CM3: Mediterranean--covering North Africa, Italy, Balkans (Greece, Yugoslavia)

CM4: Early War--working title "Blitkrieg", covering Poland '39 and France '40.

BTS does not intend to do a Pacific version.

Do a search with keywords Pacific Theater.

Each to follow approximately a year or so apart. Gotta build all new AFV models, engine improvements and such. Previous versions will be kept up to date with the developments of future versions. So CM1 will be up to date as CM4 comes out.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-19-2000).]

Well, I think that's too bad. Personally I would rather see them as add-on packs, including the pacific. That way we'd have them all before year's end without having to upgrade hardware. BTS would make as much money and I think we'd all be a lot happier.

Guest MantaRay

Ummmmm, Rich, this game took 2 years to make so I doubt that even if they were to make an expansion pack, that you would get it in 6 months(by the end of the year)

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

I disagree. The game is now out. Add-on packs would amount to nothing more than mods. Different units, different terrain, maybe substitute brown for grey to simulate blowing sand instead of fog. Shouldn't take that long. BTS could charge $30 a mod, make a fortune by the end of the year and then start on the next great game. They'd be way ahead and so would we.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rich12545:

I disagree. The game is now out. Add-on packs would amount to nothing more than mods. Different units, different terrain, maybe substitute brown for grey to simulate blowing sand instead of fog. Shouldn't take that long. BTS could charge $30 a mod, make a fortune by the end of the year and then start on the next great game. They'd be way ahead and so would we.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that is the philosphy that eventually sank Close Combat. There are different units, different TO&Es, different engagement ranges, e.g larger maps necessary for the desert. There should also be some evolution in the AI, in the LOS and other models. Lots more research necessary I would suspect for the guns and armour of the earlier vehicles, thinking about how the different C&C models in the early war would affect batallion size battles. In Italy, trenches would have to be introduced and pillboxes/entrenchments would be much more important than they are now, probably necessitating working on the AI big time.

If they were just publishing CM+ mods with some more vehicles and different terrain tiles, I would not buy them. What is the point of that?

------------------

Andreas

I disagree. The game is now out. Add-on packs would amount to nothing more than mods. Different units, different terrain, maybe substitute brown for grey to simulate blowing sand instead of fog. Shouldn't take that long. BTS could charge $30 a mod, make a fortune by the end of the year and then start on the next great game. They'd be way ahead and so would we.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HELLO!

Guess what, the mods are out now, people have been working on cool textures and other audio sound file mods. Anyone can do this, there is a whole thread that tells you how to create your own mods. So if BTS did that then charged extra for some different colours and textures I'd be irrate!

NO .... they will continue to make great games, and they will code specific variables and specific algorythyms for new units and terrain specific to those new theaters of war. Most of us would expect nothing less. And when those new games are ready you can bet 99% of the people on this board will have preodered and be waiting for a NEW game with new code ( Based on the CM engine of course) that will specifically model battlefields, units, and combat in another theater of operations in WW II and we woud be happy to pay for it and would expect no LESS, so if just want Mods, make your own or download someone else's, but don't expect BTS to think about charging us $30.00 for some new colours and textures, they are far above that!

rant off

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I think that's too bad. Personally I would rather see them as add-on packs, including the pacific. That way we'd have them all before year's end without having to upgrade hardware. BTS would make as much money and I think we'd all be a lot happier.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTS put a lot of time into CM. I am sure they will approach the following CMs with the same attitude. This means lots of research and the like. To get everything right requires time, lots of time.

Too much time, I'm sure, than for them to be able to squeeze what they have planned to take them 3+ years into 12 months.

I will happily wait a year to get CM 2. Why? Because in the meantime I will be playing CM 1. smile.gif (That is if my brother ever gets around to ordering it for me)

------------------

Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argie:

Maximus, what means "Blitkrieg" tongue.gif

You know, you asked for it biggrin.gif

Ariel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's "Blitzkrieg" in its singular form. tongue.giftongue.gif

As for user-made or quicky add-on packs, it's impossible. Every unit modeled in CM is painstakingly researched to provide as historically accurate specs as possible.

It takes a lot of research to design even one new vehicle. You have to take into account its muzzle velocity, weight, gun type, etc, etc. Then you have to design the model (which ain't easy) and apply textures. Then you have to do research to create all the different infantry types and small-arms used. BTS said that they'd tried to get CM2: Eastern Front done in about a year. So just hang tight. "This ain't your father's wargame."

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-19-2000).]