Hehe, wow... Check this out. (Picture)

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

screen001.jpg

and...

screen003.jpg

Finally, an old quote I dug up somewhere:

"According to [Charles] Moylan, Combat Mission (or whatever it ends up being called) will be available around the second quarter of 1999."

Memmmmories.... simple memmmmmories...

wink.gif

Guest Pillar

They must have been just using the graphics to see how their programming was working out. Then when they finished they reworked them to the beautiful piece of software we have today. errr... almost have. wink.gif

What do you think Steve & Charles? Bring back memories for you or what?

I remember seeing those graphics and thinking:

'not bad. Just tweak em a little bit and I could live with it.'

Reminded me of the miniatures battles - with fake trees, cardboard houses, etc.

I musta been pretty desparate for this type of a game, looking back on it.

Simply amazing the progress since then, and harder yet to believe how much time has passed since then.

Suddenly the wait for the game to get to me doesnt seem that bad....

dave

------------------

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once

Guest Big Time Software

Oh boy, we do in fact remember this smile.gif This is what CM looked like for its first 8 months or so of life. It is what we would have called "prototype under construction", or whatever you would call something that hadn't even hit Alpha stage smile.gif

The artwork was quick and dirty, as were the models. They were done up to me more "proof of concept" than anything else. We played around with this sucker for a while and determined lots of things needed to be changed. Since we hadn't invested much time in the graphics, the fundamental shift to what CM is now didn't really cost us too much development time "wasted". You assume you aren't going to get things right the first time, but you have to start someplace. That is why you prototype smile.gif

Steve

Oh, my God, is that funny! You're right, Phoenix: it looks just like "Combat Mission: South Park"--with a little bit of the Flintstones thrown in! Is that supposed to be "the Siege of Bastogne" or "the Siege of Bedrock City"? Too funny!

Dar

Guest Pillar

Well, I'm glad everyone got a laugh out of it.

I thought it served as an appropriate reminder of how far you guys have come in creating Combat Mission.

smile.gif

It's done! Congrats!

Guest Pillar

Leave me alone.

smile.gif

You think I have the time to search the message board for friggin pictures too?

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 06-21-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackhorse:

Hey, isn't the second shot the hedgehog of Piepsk map?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like it doesn't it. That was one of my favorite scenarios. Except the tank is out of place.

Actually I like those unit bases which show the direction they r facing. The 1 graphic I wish would be updated is the bases. They would be so much better if they were looked like the flag of the country of the units origin.

Guest Pillar

Yeah that would be a great idea. One other thing I noticed about this picture is that the german tank looks like a 2d cutout or something.

Wierd. smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Hey, for all I know you could be right about the map. I know that Charles didn't make up his own so as to eliminate personal influence on the map layout. Also note, CM was Hex based at this early date before we found it to be a poor choice for a bunch of reasons and moved to square tiles.

Steve