Churchill's & gun hits

Please tell me I'm imagining this but is it anyone else's experience that Churchill tanks seem to suffer an exorbitant number of gun hits thereby rendering them useless. Was there a design flaw with their guns or something? Weak gun mantles perhaps?

The reason for my query is that just about every time I chose a Churchill it almost inevitably suffers from a gun hit often early on in the piece. Is it because of its largish turret perhaps? I really dont know & would appreciate other gamers thoughts on the subject.

BTW, I did a search but the only word that produced a response was "Churchill" by itself & as you can imagine I wasn't prepared to plough through 200+ topics to try & find a similar thread.

Regards

Jim R.

I shoot at them a lot. They're heavy monsters- check the ground pressure rating, and that may be one reason they tend to bog.

Some time ago I posted about a Churchill who took 48 consecutive hits (from a pair of StuGs and a Mk IV) after I began counting, from about 300m. Only one was a gun hit.

There is another thread called "What does Gun Damaged really mean?" on page 2 right now with much discussion on the frequency of gun hits.

My guess at what is probably happening is that because of the heavier armor of the Churchill, hits which would take out a lesser tank are causing gun hits.

I had one PBEM game where I had 2 Hetzers pounding a Churchill without knocking it out (well over a dozen hits) I was very frustrated. Only after I finally took out the Churchill with an infantry assault did my opponent let me know that the gun had been knocked out.

The major complaints as to gun knock outs (from the thread Mark IV mentioned) seems to be heavily armored tanks (Panthers and Tigers, mostly).

The other thread is:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010339.html

--Philistine

[This message has been edited by Philistine (edited 09-14-2000).]