Officer quality

Has anyone else noticed how random the skills of their officers are? In recent games I've had veteran officers with as few as one or two bonuses, while at the same time I've had Volksturm COs with at least +1 in each category.

I suppose in any army there's the possibility for knuckleheads to be in charge... but couldn't officer quality somehow be linked to the quality/type of troops they're leading? I hate seeing an elite airborne platoon being led around by a CO who's only +1 stealth (presumably learned from hiding under his desk).

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

You will definately find a variety of officer quality in any unit. You can also assume that great officers were sometimes sent to not-so-great outfits to (hopefully) inspire them. I was in the 82nd and we had plenty of dud officers (and privates and NCOs, etc.) I had one West Pointer who would have had negative attributes and one Rotsy (ROTC) who would have had a good many pluses. Just my opinion, of course, I never saw combat. Once the lead flies, you never know who's gonna shine and who's gonna break.....Just my .02.

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

I thought the bonuses increased the inherent abilites of the squads/teams under the HQ's command (similar to the AI experience bonus). So, a veteran squad with a 'no bonus' vet HQ would still hide better than a green squad with a '+1 Stealth' HQ.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 09-11-2000).]

Yeah, it's all relative. I'd rather have a Veteran HQ with no bonuses than a Green HQ with +2 in everything.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."