Agreement on CM copying

There is a thread, on a BBS not so far from here, called "what does AFV mean?". the question was answered promptly, and in full (yes, by me. That isn't important to what I'm saying).

Subsequently that same thread has become (last time I checked)

a) a discussion on the allied Jabo's used in NW EWurope in 44-45,

B) a definition of 'Jabo',

c) a piece by piece exposition of why P38s were a great, but underated fighter in WW2, and why it was good at ground attack,

d) a diversion into the planes supplied to the USSR under lend-lease,

e) some war-stories of parents/grandparents from WW2

f) I haven't checked recently, but there is bound to be something else.

All this on a thread initially about TANKS!

My point? This BBS is living and dynamic. The weirdest - and most interesting things - come out of the threads with the most innocuous titles. As another example, read the thread about "SS Commanders" - there is a very funny interplay between two USMC guys about modern artillery!?!

IMO, threads don't 'belong' to the originator. They belong to the board. As the originator you can't control what people will post on a thread - the only people who have that control are BTS - and even tehy only have a negative kind of control. They can lock a thread, or delete it. Both of these are forms of censorship (BTS - I'm NOT questioning YOUR right to do this. Its your board, your server, your money, therefore your ultimate call).

This thread started out as a vote of support for BTS. Fair enough. The people who support that are free to voice their opinion - and did. Others picked up on things that were said and carried the 'conversation' in new directions. Acting like a ####### (insert your own positive OR negative stereotype here) because the thread has moved on from its original intent is about as fruitful, IMO, as getting upset with the tide because it came in and demolished your sandcastle.

I've been lashed already in this thread (with a wet bus ticket I might add) for trying to point this out in 4 lines instead of 40. Ne'er mind. I'm waiting with baited breath to see what new evils can be brought down on my poor, weary head. Still, I feel my point is valid.

NO-ONE, OUTSIDE BTS, OWNS OR CONTROLS THREADS ON THIS BOARD

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 01-21-2000).]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon S,

I'll keep this short becase I'm in a hurry

I understand your point entirely on controlling whats on a thread , and NORMALLY I would agreee with you, but If a thead SPECIFIES something in it's origins it is simply common courtesy to follow the nature of that thread. There is no argument that can be brought fourth to diminish simple courtesy. IF someone starts a PBEM sign up then out of normal decency, that is what should be done. Especially if that is PURELY what the originator intended. To Put five gazillion posts about the price of tea in china is just plain rude, it forces people to have to wade through piles of BS to find what is relevant to the post. but I was brought up to be polite smile.gif

Your argument holds merit on a thread just asking some questions or what have you - this did not in anyway do such a thing. I had no problem with other topics I just asked that they be given their own thread as this was done PURELY to offer BTS some minor solitude with regards to this lousy situation. I dont see any reason why I deserrved to be flamed for standing behing BTS and trying to rally some support. Anyone having any respect for BTS, Myself, or theirselves should act accordingly. My intentions here were good only but evidently they mean nothing to some. Trying to keep this thread on topic has broken no rules as far as this BBS is concerned. This topic I initiated was an important one and well intended, it was clear and concise. This topic did not in anyway ask any questions to be discussed within it, so I think your argument in this is weak in support of anarchy over common courtesy. What I did to you I'm still at a loss as you still have not let on .

PS thanks for the support PENG but it aint gonna save your butt in LD smile.gif

PPS Major I dont think you are to responsible for any of this ,nor was I looking to blame anyone, Just trying to keep this thing focused on an extremely important issue.. You have no need to apologize IMO.

PPPS Thanks for the words of wisom FIonn I know you've put up with some crap here too smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

I have indeed.. More than most...

One word of advice.. I found out the hard way that if you're trying to do something nice you WILL be surprised at the number of people who don't think it is good and/or don't support you.

Three things I learnt from this.

1. A lot of people might agree with you but won't say so publicly.

2. To have a lower opinion of the moral threshold of many members on the forum.

3. Forget about it and move on wink.gif.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Sure, Combat Mission promises to be one of the best games in my collection… perhaps the best ( but there's Bungie too).

Anyway, i don't have a CD-burner.

So I will buy CM if i have somme money left!

------------------

Obersturmfuhrer Borgiax

That's much better.

JonS. I have no quarrel with the ebb and flow of topics. I am one of the most major offenders of being off topic on this board! wink.gif I just thought that this topic was a bit different. It was getting way weird, and frustrating and seemed like people should get back on topic instead of carping at each other. Looks like it has cooled off, which is a good thing.

SS_ you are dead meat on a stick. I can't believe you failed to nail a single hellcat...yet. You will be toast in steel coffins.

Peng out

Couple of points... (one off topic from the main point of the thread.

1. As for the original request to agree to not make illegal copies, or play with people using same. Agreed.

2. I see no where that SS is advocating pirating against any company. If any balls need to be busted here, hammer unwaveringly on the few who are foolish to admit that they would download and play with an unauthorized beta released version. They have earned the bashing in spades.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Anyways, how's about you set up a match using the gold demo eh? Get together and hack virtual pieces off eachother instead smile.gif . It's great stress relief.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gold Demo??? Where??? Gimme the link Fionn, please!!!! smile.gif

MikeyD

(Can't we all just get along)