An Overlord question

I am not aware of any Free French units used at, specifically, the landings at Normandy. Were there any that I am just ignorant of? If not, why? Were they all tied up in other theatres? No ill will is intended towards the French, it is just a history question.

Cheers!

maus

[This message has been edited by Maus (edited 06-14-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maus:

I am not aware of any Free French units used at, specifically the landings at Normandy. Were there any that I am just ignorant of? If not, why? Were they all tied up in other theatres? No ill will is intended towards the French, it is just a history question.

Cheers!

maus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were no Free French among the assault divisions on D-Day, IIRC. They landed at least a Free French armoured division later, and they got into a bit of a tussle during the closure of the Falaise gap, because they occupied the advance routes of some US unit, again IIRC. I think they were the first unit into Paris, for political reasons.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

Free French were the first units to move into Paris exactly for political reasons.

It's also interesting to note that Hitler himself issued an order for the city to be burned to the ground / destroyed by whatever means necessary. To the German commander of the Paris garrisons credit, he ignored the order.

Mikester out.

Joe,

That's the kind of stuff that I am looking for. I fully realize that there were French troops used in the later campaigns. I should have made that clear. My fault and thanks to all for replying. I was specically after troops that were used on invasion day.

Cheers!

maus

yes, I know there was a french commando at Ouistreham(may be the 'Hubert commando' but not sure). One curious thing is that free french forces were under command of the us army but I remember this commando was under command of the british. May be because it was a marine commando and not an army one confused.gif

Just before the DDay other commandos were sent (paratroop units) in Britany to disorganize german army in the area...

Yup, approx 150 FF soldiers went in early in the morning (not in the first wave though) at Sword Beach. They belonged to the 10th Inter Allied Commando, organised into two 64 man Troops, and a mortar platoon with six 3" mortars.

They were part of the 1st SS Brigade under Lord Lovat. (SS = Special Service in this instance ...)

Regards

Jon

{edit1} ack, after reading this, I'm not sure on some of the details. I'll check later today and change the bits that need it.

{edit2} editted for ballsed up content

------------------

Ubique

[This message has been edited by Jon_S (edited 06-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jon_S (edited 06-15-2000).]

Jon_S - You da man! Thanks for the info.

This lack of major troop numbers begs a question - Where were the rest of the Free French? I'd think that the French would insist that they be the first to land on French soil. And I'm sure many French did but why then were they not there in large numbers? Were they held back by Allied high comand for strategic, political or counter-intelligence reasons, held back because they were not properly organized or equipted? Perhaps they were engaged in other theaters?

Any ideas?

Cheers!

maus

------------------

V

ozo

------------------

The who with the what now? ......Where's my medication?!

[This message has been edited by Maus (edited 06-15-2000).]