human wave vs. 8 tanks

i got an elite army of a waffen ss infantry rushing against 8 veteran shermans. the shermans kept a fairly steady rate of machinegun fire but didn't fire their cannon. why is that?

the ss rush was freaky, like ants swarming(i put ~300% points for the ss and normal 1000 points for the tanks) so i dont know why they would be reluctant to let loose.

plus when they got close, the tanks would move in towards the infantry instead of backing off using a standoff advantage.

and the ss guys ran all the way across the field but most sat right next to tanks and didn't do anything...

any explanations

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

Mabye the tanks were doing a majorly horic deed, Or mabye they were just plain stupid! Anyway tanks don't fire there cannon against infantry which doesn't make sense when there fighting a HUGE amount of infantry. Against smaller amounts they don't fire to save ammo, but when your facing an enemy battalion I don't think saving ammo matters....

BTS??

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

Guest Big Time Software

Russell,

Hard to say without seeing the thing in person. The big guns don't tend to fire until they think they can score a hit. Running infantry at close range might just be a little too fast for the gunners to get bearings and blast away. As for why they moved closer to the infantry I have no idea either. Generally when I see something like this there is an explanation in there somewhere. If you have a file handy, send it to me and I'll take a look.

Steve

steve@battlefront.com

i'll try to rebuild the quick battle and see if i can duplicate the results. but i would assume that on the open map i had the tanks would fire everything at the distant +400 beserkers.

------------------

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

bad day for a sherman: http://www.geocities.com/russellmz/images/combatmission/shermanbadday.gif

another shot went into it from the other side after this pic.

the amazing part is that 4 guys survived.

notice how it allowed itself to be surrounded.

------------------