Use of Smoke help request from AFV's

Hi

If I want a tank to lay some smoke down but I don't want to "waste" a minute's worth of smoke rounds at just one target area, can I issue the pause command to have to smoke begin to fire at the 30 sec mark? I know this may sound like a little too much micro management but I would like to use the limited amount of smoke rounds that some of these AFV's carry in the most frugal and judicious way possible. Instead of pumping a minute's worth of smoke rounds, maybe 3 or 4 rounds, into just one target area, is there any way to use the smoke rounds fired by AFV's any more frugally? (like one or two at a time)

I was just looking for a work around in the same way tanks are paused to then be "hunted" to the crest of a hill in the later part of the minute where they get a shot or two away and then retreated back out of sight at the beginging of the next turn.

any comments?

thanks

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also I believe that a tank only fires smoke until the target is hit. So if you miss your target area he keeps firing. Also a chance that he hits his target with the first shell and you only get one smoke cloud.

I could be wrong... anyone else?

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

ok thanks Lorak

I hope you are correct but my limited experience leads me to believe if I issue the "lay smoke here" order, the tank will pump smoke rounds into the target area until the turn is over. But I could be wrong and maybe that behaviour was only in the Beta Demo or maybe I'm just confused about this one. If you are correct about the way that smoke laying works then that would be great.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

Also I believe that a tank only fires smoke until the target is hit. So if you miss your target area he keeps firing. Also a chance that he hits his target with the first shell and you only get one smoke cloud.

I could be wrong... anyone else?

Lorak

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe I'm correct.

Even so you have to plan on the worst. You would have to figure your tank will miss and lay smoke the whole min. In my experience I've found that with the ammo time change ect.. even missing My tank only fires 2 or 3 shells in that min.

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

ok thanks Lorak

I do realize that perhaps I was trying to be a little TOO nitpicky (in the micro managementt side) regarding the use of smoke. I just laid some down in a PBEM turn so we'll see how it turns out.

thanks

-tom w

I believe I'm correct.

Even so you have to plan on the worst. You would have to figure your tank will miss and lay smoke the whole min. In my experience I've found that with the ammo time change ect.. even missing My tank only fires 2 or 3 shells in that min.

Lorak

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Did not use the pause command

I issued the smoke order but the two sherms in CE got real busy real fast engaging juicy targets and never fired any smoke. Another test will have to be set up later when I have time.

-tom w

LOL, np Tom.

It's a good question and I am after all only giving you my opinions. After all ( and most will back me up) I am just an idiot. Please let me know how it works out, and if you used the pause command or not.

Lorak

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Guest Scott Clinton

Hmmm...From my experience units continue to fire "Area Fire" until the 'target area' is out of LOS.

With smoke rounds this will occur as soon as a smoke round hits the 'target area', or a smoke round lands short and blocks your LOS. But if your shots land wide, the AFV will continue to fire smoke in an attempt to screen the exact spot you ordered it to screen (as it should IMO).

I think this is all a 'side effect' of the LOS function, but it seems to work fairly well for smoke rounds.

I would like to be able to have more control over my AFV's firing HE though.

When firing HE, the AFV's LOS is never blocked (unless the target bursts into flame--which rarely occurs). I don't think many people have noticed this yet because the five AFVs in the demo all have fairly decent quantities of HE on board. But, I would expect in the full version there will be quite a few AFVs that will have limited HE.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 06-09-2000).]