Veteran, Crack, Elite

Guest Pershing Predator

Guest Pershing Predator

Hello again,

As a learning Gamer, i'm still trying to figure out the little details of Combat Mission. It's taken me a while since there are 40,000,000 little details in Combat Mission. What does confuse me is that, other than the grace under fire, is there any other difference in units that are Veteran, Crack, Elite, etc? Just askin'

------------------

"When did this valley get here?"

"Toldja we were firing the 14-Inch guns."

-Pershing Predator

The more experienced the men, the more quickly and efficiently they will carry out your orders, the more experienced they will be in overcoming the enemy and preserving themselves, the less likely they'll be to chicken out, etcetera. They can't perform superhuman feats, or deflect bullets, but given a good plan, they'll be more likely to execute it successfully.

David

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'

Notice that when you move them, the more experience they have, the shorter they pause before moving. They will also be more likely to continue on their ordered path in spite of casualties and/or enemy fire, rather than running for cover.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Veteran: Having spent 3 or more years in the NFL.

Crack: A dangerous, dangerous drug. But fun. Really, really fun. But don't try it kids 'cause it's damn dangerous. But fun.

Elite: My killer hax0ring skeelz!

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silesian-jaeger:

Just say "no" to crack!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except they do make good sharpshooters. In case you're interested in shooting sharps...

Michael

I wondered that question as well so I conducted an experiment. I built a american assault scenario with a flat map. Along both sides I put a straight row of woods. There was 300m of open ground between them. On one side, in the woods were two MG42 HMGS.

The Americans had 1 platoon of army troops.

I played it six times each with green, regular and elite troops. In each case the attacking troops succeeded in taking out the machine guns. The difference was, the green troops panicked several times before reaching the opposing woods. Some squads just "took cover" and in a panic state for the duration. The regular troops didn't panic as often and the elite troops never. The number of casulties were greater for the green troops but overall they were all close.

I've noticed that elite troops have a horrible tendency to turn into John Wayne and charge strongly held positions across open ground. I mean positions held by a full platoon of SS, a quad 20mm flak, and a flak halftrack. Sheesh! What a bunch of idiots! I didn't tell them to do it and I was powerless to stop them!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaSCa:

I've noticed that elite troops have a horrible tendency to turn into John Wayne and charge strongly held positions across open ground. I mean positions held by a full platoon of SS, a quad 20mm flak, and a flak halftrack. Sheesh! What a bunch of idiots! I didn't tell them to do it and I was powerless to stop them!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen that kind of thing too. I stay strictly away from Elite and only get Crack for special jobs like sharpshoters. Veteran seems to be the way to go in this game.

Michael

Test have shown that each level of experience includes an approximate increase in actual firepower of ~10%.

So, if a Conscript can dish out 100 firepower at some range, then a green will have 110, a regular 121, a vet 133, a crack 147, and an elite 162.

Needless to say, that is a significant difference. IIRC, the tests were done using infantry units only. I am not sure if those numbers hold true for MGs.

Also, it is possible that the actual formulas are considerably more complicated than a simple bonus, so it could vary by nationality, weapon type, or any other number of variables.

Jeff Heidman

Jeff Heidman wrote:

> or any other number of variables.

Whether or not they just got a Dear John letter? Oh hang on, that's Squad Leader.

::Ratatatatatatatatatatatat::

I can't believe she left me for a Polish airman!

::Ratatatatatatatat:: ::KABLAMM::

Frank! No!! What are you doing?

A Pole?? What could she possibly see in him?

::Ratatatatatatatat::

Frank, for God's sake! Shoot at the GERMANS! The ones in GREY uniform!

I wrote to her every week!! How could she do this to me??

::Ratatatatat:: ::KABOOM:: ::Ratatatatatat::

Bloody hell Frank, that's OUR halftrack... ::BOOM::

WOMEN... I should have known better!! ::KABLAMM::

Quick, get that gun off Frank, before he wipes out the rest of our scouts!!

------------------

'...With mortar shells raining down everywhere, he said, "Come along, Padre".' When Egen showed reluctance, Tatham-Warter reassured him. 'Don't worry,' he said, 'I've got an umbrella.'

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 10-06-2000).]