Is it my imagination or do panzerschrecks miss most of the time?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SS_Ivanivsky:

Ive been laying the gold demo for the last two days and havent killed a tank yet with a schreck... i also wanted to know what the range of the panzerfaust is.

Thx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC

Panzerfaust-30 = 30m

Panzerfaust-100 = 100m

See in the stats window which ones they have got.

To answer the other question:

Panzerschrecks are deadly, but not as deadly as the "We-can't-miss-bang-there-goes-yer-armour" Überschrecks and Überfausts in Close Combat 2. I have raked up lots of kills with both types. Have a look at the units using them. Some are conscripts, and they, well they leave something to be desired. I have been at the receiving end of Schrecks killing Shermans at 169m distance.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

The schreck is a tricky weapon. I've found that unless the shot is within 50 meters, it will miss frequently, quickly expending its ammo and/or getting suppressed or eliminated. It is definitely a weapon best suited to a relatively close range ambush, preferrably from good cover that won't be quickly targeted by enemy infantry or other tanks.

The panzerfaust's effective range is well within 30 meters. I would never attempt a shot at any more than that.

I must be the only one playing against uberschrecks. It seems If I am even in the same country with one my tanks blow up. usually on first shot too. In one PBEM (CE) got hit by 3 shots from schrecks. One shot, one hit. all of them over 200 meters.

sorry for the ramble...

Lorak

Guest hunt52

VOT Spoiler...

In Vot my pillbox 75 got whacked on the first turn mad.gif which was bad. Then my schrecks got the 76 and both 105s. A minefield accounted for a 75 and the panther took out the other two. The schrecks fired from woods against buttoned tanks without any infantry shooting them. Seems to yield the best results.

- Bill

***VOT SPOILER***

I used to get nailed regularly by schrecks hiding in the woods in the beta CE scenario.

In my current game of VoT with Marauding Mark Ezra, he had a tank on a hill and one of my schrecks opened up from well over 100m away.

For some reason neither the tank nor the infantry with it fired on my schreck, and after expending all his ammo, my schreck guy got the tank on the last round he had. So it wasn't real accurate at that distance, but it was enough!

Incidentally, if you're laying the gold demo, SS_Ivanivsky, I hope you're using protection.... : )

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Well, I fired up a game of VoT just to show my hard-headed uncle the new Gold Demo. BTW, some of the tone in some of my posts on this board stem from thinking that there are some people out there that are just as hard-headed as he is. Ex. He is afraid to download anything off the Net in fear of getting viruses. And I'm like, you load up a webpage in your browser and that IS downloading something.

But anyway, I was just screwing around showing him a first couple of moves. I sent both Sherman 105s over to Hill 198. I think it took 2 turns to get them there. Well, in turn 2, the Germans had 2 Panzerschreck teams over on the Victory Hill to the American left of Plomville. They both shot and killed both Shermans, now I ckecked LOS distance between these two points and I it is right at 200m.

I can't remember if they missed any or not, but I'm pretty sure both Shermans got knocked out in the same turn. So it is possible to get hits from 200m with 'schrecks.

Guest Big Time Software

jdmorse is bang on there! They can't hurt you much beyond 200m. People trying to use Schrecks as single unit ambushes will most likely lose them without a kill if the enemy follows the correct combined armes doctrine for coordinating armor and infantry. The best ambushes involve enough small arms firepower to distract the infantry while the PS gets off a shot.

BTW, my greatest "hero" playing the Germans was a Green PS team that was down to one man. He only had two shots and his second one KO'd the last US tank in VoT. Unfortunately he was cut down while trying to withdraw.

Steve

Guest Zulu1

I think a lot of people myself included were misinformed about the actual effectiveness of weapons by 1)Hollywood and 2)other computer games such as CC, etc.

I don't have the stats infront of me, but IIRC, hundreds of thousands of strecks/fausts were produced and tens of thousands were fired. The actual numbers of kills by these weapons was quite small.

So, I think CM models the hit rate pretty accurately. In CC, they are way to accurate.

Keep in mind the shrecks teams we get are at best "regular". I remember Fionn telling me about an "elite" shreck team he had that popped 5 Shermans with 5 shots. We should hold final judgement until we see the final game.

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

Zulu 1 wrote:

I don't have the stats infront of me, but IIRC, hundreds of thousands of strecks/fausts were produced and tens of thousands were fired. The actual numbers of kills by these weapons was quite small.

True, but in right circumstances fausts and schrecks could do terrible damage. For example, at the battle of Ihantala Finns destroyed 48 tanks in 48 hours using fausts and shrecks. (In addition, Soviets lost 1 tank to a 75 mm AT gun and 1 tank to three German StuGs). This was enough to stop the Soviet advance for good.

However, one has to remember that Ihantala area was ideal to shreck use. The whole area was covered with a forest and there was only few narrow roads.

- Tommi

Generally green and conscript schrek teams are next to useless for killing tanks. But they will distract the tank away from other units especially the regular schrek teams, so pair them. Also the TacAI and your opponent don't know their quality so they can drive the tank off even if they don't kill it.

Regular schrek teams I am starting to like very much, I just had one kill 3 Shermans with 3 shots all at 100m+

I recently had a Conscript schreck team with one casualty (in CE, in the woods, with a company HQ next to him) stand up and aim at the flank of a Sherman, 30 m away in the open, and... he turned and ran instead of firing.

"Shaken" indeed. Perhaps CMHQ should have a Bungler's Section for gems like this. That's as close as you get to a "gimme" with a 'schreck.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Simon wrote:

Regular schrek teams I am starting to like very much, I just had one kill 3 Shermans with 3 shots all at 100m+<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that suprised the hell out of me, if it keeps up I'll be convinced they're too accurate, hehe.

Ron

Guest Big Time Software

Mark IV, pretty funny stuff! I have read that firing a personal AT weapon effectively took a LOT of, uhm, "balls" biggrin.gif PS and PFs even more so than Bazookas and PIATs. The main reason being that a miss was not to be rulled out, but giving away your position and attracting LOTS of unwanted attention was a very sure thing. Plus the backblast problem meant that the simple act of using the thing could hurt/kill you.

The notion that the average guy ran around with PFs just ITCHING to use it seems to be off the mark historically speaking.

Steve