CM newbie

Hi all,Finally got a decent computer that can actually do more than serf and email.Played the Gold Demo 3x and just placed an order.This game is great!Played CE first as German and ended in a draw.Tried to pierce the German Bunker line and was seriously defeated.Third playing was CE as the American--had a stunning victory , only 11 Germans left , no StuGs. Only lost 2 M4s

and 17 KIAs smile.gif ...My M4s swept the right side of the area and routed the Germans into the big tree area which came under fire from 2 pltns of US infantry ... seems realistic fire and movement tactics work in this game as opposed to some games I've played smile.gif... cann't wait to read the manual and learn how to play properly!.

Abrams

Hello Abrams.

Some stuff you might want to check out is

COMBAT MISSION HQ's, run by Madd Matt and Fionn. http://combathq.thegamers.net

It is a really awsome site.

They post thier updates on this board.

Also, try and get a PBEM apponnent.

It is alot harder game playing humans than the computer.

Have a good one.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Welcome Abrams.

These are giddy times for us, as we await the final game. It always makes us feel gratified when someone echoes the same feelings we have. Mind you, I'm a relative newcomer too (since October maybe) compared to some die hards on this forum .

Nice to have you aboard.

GAFF

[This message has been edited by gaffertape (edited 06-07-2000).]

Welcome to the "club". Kiss the rest of your life good-bye.

My advice would be not to read the manual. Then we can PBEM for money. smile.gif Look out for the human opponents around here- they are much nastier than the AI.

One cool thing about CM is that is so realistic, that you can figure most basic things out right away. Just about anything weird or detailed has already been discussed here, so think of the Search function for this forum as sort of an online manual. The REAL, printed manual is what we are all dying to see (ships with the game).

Just one thing to keep in mind when playing CM, well two actually. wink.gif

First, forget everything you've learned from other wargames. "Gamey" tactics won't work in CM.

Secondly, DO what makes sense. Think of yourself as a commander and what you need to do to win. In other words don't charge down a MG42 without supressing it first with supressing fire, artillery, or smoke screen.

You may think CM is an armor combat game, well not really. It's a infantry combat game first and foremost. Always recon out with infantry first backed up by a tank in support. Well, I say always, but do what works for you. German infantry squads usually have panzerfausts and they'll let'em fly when a tank gets near.

Hope this info helps. smile.gif

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

The ammo dump question has been covered before, i think.

In a game that is meant to simulate 60 minutes of real combat, there would generally be no time to send vehicles back, load them up and return them to the front lines ( under fire) before either the game is over or the units dead/captured.So do the best you can with what youv'e got!! smile.gif

In game, there won't be any resupply. No unit will run out of the small arm stuff, though tanks and artillery type units will run out of thier main ammo. When the squads and MG units "run out" the will actually have a low ammo status. They will from then on fire infrequently, and without great effect. This loosely simulated scavaging ammo, ect. In operations (campaign games) you will receive (IIRC) limited resupply and reinforcements in between the battles of the operation, but you won't ever find a cache of ammo in the heat of combat.