TCP/IP ...promises, promises

OK, it's time for the monthly question. So what's the REAL story on the promised TCP/IP plan?

(The delay wouldn't frustrate me so much if BTS hadn't been telling the media that TCP/IP play would be coming out fairly soon after the game's release.)

I think BTS has chosen (knowingly or unknowingly) to focus on the smaller audience who are satisfied with a PBEM (or solo) game rather than shoot for the much larger market of a real multiplayer format. Too bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think BTS has chosen (knowingly or unknowingly) to focus on the smaller audience who are satisfied with a PBEM (or solo) game rather than shoot for the much larger market of a real multiplayer format. Too bad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey man no one held a gun to your held and MADE you buy this game!!

Guest Germanboy

Yada yada, moan moan, whine whine.

Pig, do you have anything constructive to add? There was an announcement about a week ago, I suggest looking for it before shooting your mouth off.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-11-2000).]

Not to mention that BTS specifically asked us if we wanted the game to come out when it did, and wait for the TCP/IP patch, or if they should simply hold the game until TCP/IP was ready. The overwhelming cry was to give us the game, and TCP/IP could wait.

So, don't blame BTS, blame us. They are being nothing but responsive to their customers.

------------------

We eat like kings, drink like czars, and game like fat drunken king-czars. - CaSCa

BTS polled the people on this board, and we agreed that we wanted CM sooner, rather than delaying the game's release to implement TCP/IP. So if you were around then, which I doubt, then you really can't whine.

Dang it, Supertanker beat me by 2 sec to posting the same thing.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 11-11-2000).]

Guest kking199

I am always amazed at the complainers out there, you get a fantastic game at a fair price, blows away anything out there, and yet you complain.

I will have to guess that you have "Never" done any real programming on a computer. It is never easy or quick especially if you do it right. Programming net code is a very different animal from the game engine. Also, if I am not mistaken they are working on two platforms, Mac and Windows. When's the last time a game was released that worked on both platforms from the get go?!?! And to top it off BTS has the decency to post on this forum the status of TCP/IP and give a detailed explanation of the situation.

The more I think about this the more pissed I get that this thread was started... I can only assume from mass ignorance.

I will stop here to keep my dignity.

Capt Pig,

The TCP/IP patch is currently being reviewed and tested to ensure that it is optimally coded, and bugless.

I'd personally rather wait for a quality product, than have a faulty one released quickly.

Secondly, Steve and Charles were thoughtful enough to ask their customers what they would prefer, the tcp/ip update, or game system tweaks. The customers collectively asked for the game system tweaks, which have now been delivered.

If you like to troll, I suggest you take it to the Peng thread!

Mace

Guest Big Time Software

Well, as anybody who has been here fairly regullarly knows, we initially spent our time fixing what needed to be fixed with the initial release. That was always first priority, as it should be. No point having problems with solo/PBEM play while waiting for TCP/IP to be done. Since 1.05 was released about 2 months ago IIRC, we have been doing nothing but coding up TCP/IP. We have also been keeping people informed as this thread clearly shows:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/012375-4.html

And since we already have a TCP/IP discussion going on, no need to have two. Closing this one up.

Steve