Most weird AI behavior

Possible spoiler VoT

+

+

+

+

I was running a hotseat of VoT to see some things and something really weird happens. I was playing Amis with 150% plus, to see how to level Plomville with arty. At the end, with Plomville already leveled to zero, I send the Shermans 105 (5 of it) to the Hill 209. They pass through the town and starting to make their way for the hill, with the last shells raining down over them. The German's MG pillbox was in the base of the hill, in the town. The pillbox was eliminated and the crew destroyed. Midway in the turn and in the hill behind the town, and behind the pillbox also, I see some smoke rounds falling in front of the pillbox. I thought was a late decision from the German's TacAI to defend the bunker with the mortars, but, for my surprise, was one of the 105s which was firing smoke in front at a disabled MG bunker from which the tank was BEHIND, so he had their turret rotated 180 degrees... If you think that the tank behavior that happens to you was freaking, how do you qualifies it? smile.gif

Ariel

[This message has been edited by argie (edited 05-21-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

hmmm...

This sounds a LOT like what I saw in my game of VOT as the US.

BTS swears that this should not happen, and that they have not seen it. Just keep a look out for it and if you have a save file (since you were playing hotseat) send it in to BTS. I was playing single so I did not have a good file for them.

IF it is really happening like you and I think it is then I am sure it is just a matter of time before someone can get a good file into BTS. Then they just need to find the time to id the 'bug' and patch it. wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Sorry, I don't have a saved file of that game. But, as I was running a test hotseat, I positively knows that the MG bunker was disabled, not menace was in sight and the smoke was fired from the Sherman 105, which was behind the ELIMINATED bunker. The most curious thing was that the smoke rounds fall in FRONT of the pillbox. And that was a TacAI decision.

Sorry I can't help more with this.

BTW, this kind of illogical things happen from time to time seems more accurate than doesn't happens at all biggrin.gif

Ariel

Guest Big Time Software

It takes a good 30 seconds or more for a smoke plume to appear after the shell lands. Is it possible that the smoke shell was fired when the bunker was alive, but then the bunker was killed before the plume appeared?

Charles

Guest Scott Clinton

That reminds me of a bug I noticed last week (I think I sent it in...)

I had some on map mortars firing indirectly the entire game and ran out of HE late in the game...when I then tried to fire their remaining smoke they could only target placing in THIER LOS. The were unable to use IF at all with their remaining smoke rounds. The HQ was still in good order (as were the mortars) and they were still in command. I was able to replicate this with the same units when I moved them to a slightly different location. The fired the smoke fine using DF however.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Charles, the bunker was disabled the turn before the smokes rounds fall. The tank cross all the town and then starts to climb the hill, rotating his turret 180 degrees toward the bunker. I could be wrong, as I'm recalling it for my poor memory.

Ariel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

That reminds me of a bug I noticed last week (I think I sent it in...)

The HQ was still in good order (as were the mortars) and they were still in command. I was able to replicate this with the same units when I moved them to a slightly different location. The fired the smoke fine using DF however.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC once you move a mortor, it can no longer perform indirect fire for the remainder of the scenario. It takes surveying equipment to set up a weapon for indirect fire. Been there, done that. Not something you do in the middle of a firefight.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.