Bug in Retargeting mortar FO....

This is with 1.01....

Mortar FO firing at point A; at first, I decide I want to target somewhere else (with the resulting 2 min delay). Then, I realize I'd be better off shifting my fire over a little bit -- however no matter where I shift it (relative to point A), the delay comes out at 2 minutes even tho' it's showing the green targeting line.

On a hunch, I re-loaded the scenario and was indeed able to shift my fire with the expected delays (i.e., 16 seconds, etc.)

I think I have the PBEM file, but my guess is this is easily reproducible.

You have to be really careful when retargeting stuff - once you cancel that order from the previous turns it's history and you have to start from scratch.

Probably the same with fire from guns and units too although it's less obvious - the targets your units are firing on at the beginning of a turn are "acquired targets" and probably get an accracy bonus, but I imagine that if you cancel the order and decide to go back to the original one you might lose the bonus.

Anyone more in the know with a better answer?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You have to be really careful when retargeting stuff - once you cancel that order from the previous turns

it's history and you have to start from scratch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that may be the way it works, but I don't think it's working-as-intended, i.e., it's a bug.

After targeting point B, when I was in the process of re-targeting near point A, the targeting line was green. This indicates that CM knew I was trying to shift fire relative to point A; however, the delay was always 2 minutes.

As I said, re-loading the PBEM file corrected this.

Interesting.

If you can reproduce it, please send me the file with the passwords and a description exactly how you got this result.

Sten

------------------

Keep your whisky on the rocks and your tanks on the roll.

I think I got the same thing when playing Sherbrooke Fusiliers. Using a TRP, I tried shifting fire within the TRP's zone. I must have accidentally moved it too far (even though the line was still green for adjust fire the entire time). It showed '2 mins' as ETA. So that 'adjust fire' ability was lost. Frustrated at my mistake, I then cancelled the entire fire mission (hit the X key) to start over. But bizarrely, when I tried targeting with that FO again, the game still showed me the green adjust fire line instead of a new targeting line and it said '2 mins' when in fact it should have been 44 secs for placing it on top of a TRP. I kept canceling and trying over and over. I even tried targeting a different TRP, then starting to target again, but hit the spacebar to cancel the new target hoping it would correct the current target orders. Nope.

Even more strangely, I could move the line all over the map on places where there were no TRPs, even to the extreme corners, and it would still show as green adjust target with a 2 min ETA. I tried targeting different TRPs, enemy troops, my own men, and even switched to different units and the back to the FO to try to get rid of this weird setting. Nothing helped. I finally gave up, cancelled his targeting orders, and hit 'Go'. The next turn, he was back targeting normally again. I could target a TRP, and would get the correct targeting line with a '44 sec' ETA. Strange.

Unfortunately, I don't have any save files from it. Hope that's enough to point BTS in the right direction.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 07-20-2000).]