Charles, British armour penetration report.

Charles, Hi,

in your article, Postgame Wrapup, you mention

a "research paper written by British scientists" on the subject of armour penetration in WW2. Its enough to make my eyes water! Any chance of giving me the full title of the report then I too can get it off the NTIS. I tried to find it on their website but failed.

I use formula I found in a text book written by the staff at the Royal Military College of Science, the modern counterparts to the guys that wrote your report.

Anyway if you could help me I would be very grateful.

When the demo first came out I posted saying I thought the "hype was justified", this view has been reinforced now I have the final version.

All the best,

Kip.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

"Penetration of Armour Plate"

PB91127506

Enjoy! smile.gif

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you refering to ......

Ordnance board " The PENETRATION OF ARMOUR PLATE" compiled by the Co-Ordinating Sub committee of the Armour Piercing Projectile committee.1950?

[This message has been edited by Paul Lakowski (edited 08-14-2000).]

PENETRATION OF ARMOUR PLATE by US ORDNANCE BOARD, ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, March 1950. NTIS call number PB91-127506

This is actualy the British National Physics Laboratory report; as published by the Ordnance Board Press in England, not APG.

It covers penetration formula, the effects of plate hardness on ballistic resistance from actual tests, as well as shot & shatter causes & effects, and tungsten core dynamics. There is also a bibliography of WWII research papers.

As Paul said, Robert Livingston has discovered that the angle component of the equasion formula used in the report is incorrect.

Kip you might also be interested in:

EFFECTS OF IMPACT AND EXPLOSION, by the Office of Scientific Research and Development, et al, 1946. Available from the NTIS under call number AD 221 586.

511 pages of articles on terminal ballistics, bombs, explosions, armor, and numerous charts.

"GERMAN EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE (PROJECTILES AND PROJECTILE FUZES)"

March, 1953, Available from the NTIS under call number ADA376695 presents all known technical parameters of every German projectile by that date. Cut-away drawings for each projectile. The report was a compilation of the wartime U.S. "Captured Ammunition Bulletin" series and the U.K. "Handbook of Enemy Ammunition Pamphlet" series.

Regards, John Waters

---------

"Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-15-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kipanderson:

Charles,hi,

thanks for the info. Can not wait to have it in my hands.

All the best,

Kip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is the same work then I have a copy Kip maybe we can make an exchange for the ' 50 pages ' we discussed earlier .The formula is quite complex...I hope your good at 'Logs'?

BTW Robert Livingston told me the angle component of the equation is wrong and recommended another approach.

Rgds Paul.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Lakowski:

If this is the same work then I have a copy Kip maybe we can make an exchange for the ' 50 pages ' we discussed earlier .The formula is quite complex...I hope your good at 'Logs'?BTW Robert Livingston told me the angle component of the equation is wrong and recommended another approach. Rgds Paul.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are wanted on the science deck. Report there immediately.

------------------

Resistance is Futile

John, Paul, hi,

thanks for all the help with regard to interesting reports at the NTIS. I have already ordered the one Charles recommended so I will have to turn down Paul's kind offer of an exchange. (Paul I have emailed you with more information on cost. Happy to do any sections you want.)

John thanks for the hint regarding the "Effects of Impact.." report, sounds great.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. Did a search regarding "armor penetration" at the NTIS, mind blowing. When you guys over the pond talk about "freedom of information" you are not kidding.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kipanderson:

John thanks for the hint regarding the "Effects of Impact.." report, sounds great.

All the best,

Kip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kip, I just checked NTIS and the "EFFECTS OF IMPACT AND EXPLOSION" report is no longer listed. I also checked it by its NTIS call number came up with 0 matches.

I have edited my original post and added the NTIS call number for the "GERMAN EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE (PROJECTILES AND PROJECTILE FUZES)" report, which is listed now on NTIS.

Regards, John Waters

--------

"Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!!".

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-15-2000).]

hi,

John thanks for the extra advice. I also did an online search and could not find "Effects of impact.." but then emailed their "info" desk and they found it. Thanks to you and the others I have now successfully ordered Charles's document, Effects of Impact... and German Explosive Ordnance. All it well that ends well.

Thanks again,

Kip.

PS. Did you know that NTIS doubles the price of everything if it is going overseas, plus airmail charges. Must be because you guys have already paid part of the price in your taxes, and I of course have not.