Thinking of getting new video card to play cm any suggestions???

Guest Shatter50

Tris said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I conversed with Garry about this a week or so back and he almost got me to pull the trigger on the Voodoo 5500,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I had the same conversation with Gary,'cept he won me over to the V5500. Mostly because I was frustrated as hell after trying two other cards. A V4500 and a Hercules ProphetMXII. I do love the FSAAX4 but Voodoo's Support is LACKING in a way that makes me violent when I think about it.

I had a RageFury128 and even though ATI didn't support Fog emulation, which sent me hunting for a new card, they were excellent with their support.

I have alot of problems with the V5000 when it comes to CM. It's only saving grace for me was the price, and the FSAA.

Mord.

Guest Shatter50

Ok guys I didn't get the new video card today but for sure this weekend.

Now with all the debate I am confused. At this moment in time I am loaded with cash sorry not bragging just happy. I want the best card in terms of all out performance, frame rate, graphics, and so on.

NO LONG DEBATE JUST THE DAMN BEST VIDEO CARD.

CAN WE NOT AGREE ON ANYTHING??? biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter50:

Ok guys I didn't get the new video card today but for sure this weekend.

Now with all the debate I am confused. At this moment in time I am loaded with cash sorry not bragging just happy. I want the best card in terms of all out performance, frame rate, graphics, and so on.

NO LONG DEBATE JUST THE DAMN BEST VIDEO CARD.

CAN WE NOT AGREE ON ANYTHING??? biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If money is not an object, then there is no question.

Get yourself a GeForce 2 Ultra. Should set you back around $450 or so, but it is the best thing out at them moment, no exceptions.

If you want to wait a little bit longer, NVidia will be releasing the NV20 chipset, and that will be faster still. Should start seeing the first cards in February or so. They will be untouchable for a while at least.

But right now, if money is not an issue, there is only one choice, and that is which GeForce Ultra you want to buy. The Creative Labs Annihilator2 Ultra seems to be getting uniformly good reviews.

Jeff Heidman

The absolute fastest card is the voodoo 6000, but they aren't out this weekend.

And you'd have to get one from 3Dfx's Quantum division and you'd have to

pay at least $900. smile.gif You could run CM at something like a constant

90+ frames per sec with full 4X FSAA on all the time at 1024x768. biggrin.gif

If you want the fastest card known, that is it.

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

If you want to wait a little bit longer, NVidia will be releasing the NV20 chipset, and that will be faster still. Should start seeing the first cards in February or so. They will be untouchable for a while at least.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any word on how good the FSAA implementation is on the NV20?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Only 3Dfx junkies scream Voodoo X. Because they're used to shotty image quality from earlier cards. They think 4x FSAA is something else. For those people, I say, try a Nvidia based card and your FSAA is a bunch of malarky. Nvidia cards have always had better image quality than 3Dfx cards.

I've seen FSAA screenshots and I can't tell a whole hellava lot of difference than what my TNT2 card can do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa there Maximus, I think you may be too far to the edge here. I'm no 3dfx junkie, and trying to say you've seen FSAA screenshots and can't tell a whole hellava lot is not saying much. Its not the still screenshots my man. Your missing the true impact.

I primarily use my card for CM only, so 150+ FPS in Quake III means squat to me. You need to purchase to meet your own needs. You state one needs to try an Nvidia card, but at the same time its obvious you haven't tried a V5500. I've tried an Nvidia card and found it a great purchase and very nice image. But I'm sticking with my FSAA V5500 due to FSAA, though that may be a bunch of malarky to you smile.gif

I hate these video card comparisons. Search the web, read reviews, learn the jargon, and don't ask junkies, 3dfx ones or otherwise.

------------------

Garry Kump

Kump's CM Outpost

Guest Shatter50

Ok thanks for the info.

One last question about all the cards listed.

Voodoo cards and Geforce cards most likly will get one of these. My question is I read some people have problems with Voodoo 5500 and Geforce 2 GTS,AGP version while playing CM, what kind of problems and any other problems whith any other cards known???

I want a good Video card but not a card that will give me more problems than it is worth.

Fast card good graphics and no damn problems Pleas.

The V5500 problems with CM are legendary, or rather, annoying but not show stoppers.

First, on the 2D screens, you get blocks of previous 2D screens where your mouse was located when you make selections. You learn to work around this so it isn't a big deal, but still annoying.

I have found that if you exit the game temporarily by hitting the escape key to get to the Windows desktop (PC version), then re-enter the game, the 2D screens and text is messed up. Not only that, on my system, the 3D graphics becomes darker. The solution is to save the game and exit, then restart the game. Again, not a show stopper, but can be annoying.

That is it for me. I have no other problems except that one time with MS explorer and screen resolution changes which drove me bananas, but some MS updates and perseverance on my end fixed it all. The 3dfx drivers were part of the problem. Been behaving quite well for the last four months, so fingers are crossed....

------------------

Garry Kump

Kump's CM Outpost