A bug! No really. . .

Raze

I was playing a QM as Axis during a Allied assualt. Had a Puma behind some woods near the edge of a map. As an armoured car came into view the Puma began the back up-right off the edge of the map!!! Never to be seen again. Just reversed and disappered. Why? Does this mean the world is flat?

------------------

Hey look, the bleeding stopped. Uh oh. . .

Not a bug. Deliberatly part of the game design. The good news is that this allows you to withdraw, thereby saving cassualties. The bad news (if you can call it that) is that map edge hugging units may inadvertanly leave the game.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

[This message has been edited by Diceman (edited 09-09-2000).]

Ok. So having my unit ACCIDENTLY move off the map and disappear from play ISN'T a bug.

rolleyes.gif

"Dude"

"What"

"You knocked your Tiger off the board"

"What. Oh. Sorry. I'll put it back"

"No way dude! You bumped it. Its history. You shouldn't have put it so close to the edge"

Yeah. Right. . . .

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raze:

Ok. So having my unit ACCIDENTLY move off the map and disappear from play ISN'T a bug.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. If it works the way the designers intended, it isn't a bug.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Hmmm...

I dont get what your problem is. What would you like to happen at the edge of the map?

I can't think of an alternative to this system that makes any sense. Can you?

Guest Scott Clinton

I personally prefer it the way it is.

It adds an additional element of risk to a (perhaps) gamey tactic of hugging the map edge (and thus assuring your troops of one completly safe flank).

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Gamey! I think not. The layout was such that placing my unit there simply provided some cover by using the woods. As a game mechanic I understand the idea. But I had NO idea that this was part of the game (live and learn). I would think that a reteating unit when reaching the edge of the board would prompt you-"remove from play?" or something like that. My Puma wasn't panicked. Nor had I instructed it to bail or even move.

------------------

Guest Scott Clinton

It is a limitation of the game (and any other wargame I can think of near this scale) that it has a limited field of battle.

Having a map or board edge by its very nature means you have a 100%, iron clad, completely safe flank. I think it is safe to say this is something that NEVER existed in reality. By placing your units near this 'safe flank' (for whatever reason) you gain a benefit from the knowledge that no attack could possibly come from that direction.

Players have long used (abused?) this fact in wargames. CM simply adds one, minor (IMHO) possible hazard for those that skirt the board edge in an attempt to 'even' the playing field.

I skirt the board edge myself when the situation dictates. But when I do, I fully accept the fact that one burst of fire at the wrong time and I could lose a unit.

It is unfortunate that you were unaware of this prior to your game and perhaps it should be documented in the manual more clearly (I don't recall seeing it in the manual at all to tell the truth). But, like you said: "live and learn".

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Although many people consider it a problem with small games, the edge issue I think is very realistic. The issue is the amount of room a unit has to manuever versus its mission. In tactics class, they teach you to always attack from the flank, but that assumes a flank to be found and an endless battlefield, plus a well defended end zone of your own so that you don't yin/yang each other.

In reality issues like friendly fire, road congestion, defence of the rear echelon, and poor terrain often force an attack that is less than optimal, and you cannot swing around without messing someone elses attack up, or runn afoul of friendly fire.

The best thing you can say about edge hugging is that it is an iffy tactic that can be useful. Where you get clobbered is when you get "pinned" with no room to manuever against the edge, or when units decide that they are heading off board.