Fionn's Impending Defeat

Since Fionn has thrown down the challenge and I have accepted, I propose that an evenly balanced scenario be chosen. The scenario will be played twice. The players will switch sides allowing them to negate any advantage. Total points will decide the winner.

Lewis

PS Fionn mentioned soemthing coming at the end of March, what could it be? April fools day?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I specified Gold Demo Username.

Since it isn't out yet it is OBVIOUSLY impossible to choose scenarios yet.

Ps. If a scenario is evenly balanced then there is no need to play a mirrored game. FWIW I want to beat you but I don't want to take the time out of my life to do it twice. A single game of a balanced scenario will suffice.

I'll play as the Germans.

Guest Big Time Software

Save it for the Gold release fellas. Plenty of time for challenging and posturing later. Heck, I am thinking that we should have a seperate UBB forum for the stuff smile.gif There is going to be a lot of that and taunting when the game comes out for sure.

Steve

Steve, you should just set up specific threads that get purged every week that are called Taunt du Jour or something similar. Or perhaps we will move the good taunting to Foobar's site or the one where the ladder resides. It's a bit of a pain to have to manage all that here, but you have to admit, they are pretty funny to read.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

I am just suggesting fair rules, not picking scenarios. Where did I say that I didn't want to play the Gold.

Evenly balanced scenarios are sometimes a subjective call. Perhaps there will be a short one and you can take the time to let the other guy play the Germans.

Looking forward to it. Let me get a few Gold games in first or is that too fair for you also?

Lewis

PS Whats coming at the end of March?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

My birthday??

26 on the 26th.

Gifts can be sent to:

2370 Stillwater

Billings, MT USA 59102

I don't mind if the gifts are late. I'll understand.

Of course, the best gift is a gift of gold....

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy birthday to ya

I will send a CDROM machined from Nipolit. Only kidding here, thats a joke. Dont call out the Mounties or whatever patrols MT. I am just kidding. People here are so sensitive. Jeeessh

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

Happy birthday to ya

I will send a CDROM machined from Nipolit. Only kidding here, thats a joke. Dont call out the Mounties or whatever patrols MT. I am just kidding. People here are so sensitive. Jeeessh

Lewis

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You better watch out. He's from Montana, home of the unibomber, militias, and Butte. smile.gif

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the mountains and scenery is just BEAUTIFUL.

[This message has been edited by CEO (edited 03-25-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CEO:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the mountains and scenery is just BEAUTIFUL.

[This message has been edited by CEO (edited 03-25-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean Butte-iful dont you? What EE work do you do?

Lewis

You mean Butte-iful dont you? What EE work do you do?

Lewis

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep all the idiots of the world from killing themselves via electronic devices.

A cool point or two if you can guess the company.

[This message has been edited by CEO (edited 03-26-2000).]

UL = Underwriter's Laboratory. Test & certification service for electrical and electronic devices. In Europe, a comparable service (or rating) might be CE, though they are more concerned with emissions than electrical safety.

UL has a distinctive logo-sticker, which many inspectors require before electrical widgets can be installed. Basically the sticker says the device conforms to standards and will not burst into flames or cause the user to fuse in normal operations.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

UL = Underwriter's Laboratory. Test & certification service for electrical and electronic devices. In Europe, a comparable service (or rating) might be CE, though they are more concerned with emissions than electrical safety.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say a UL mark would be the "equivalent" to a VDE, or TUV, or BSI (or any other nationally recognized european certification agency) mark. With a CE mark, any manufacturer may apply it and claim the equipment meets the applicable standard's requirements.

So, a UL, VDE, TUV, BSI, etc. mark tells you that the equipment was evaluated by someone other than the manufacturer.

The CE mark may have been evaluated by one (or more) of the above companies, or the mfg. evaluated it and put the CE mark on.

Anyway, to steer this thread back to topic, my vote is for Fionn to win and that other confused.gif person confused.gif to lose. (If anyone has any more questions about UL and CE marking, email me)

[This message has been edited by CEO (edited 03-26-2000).]

Is UL really not-for-profit? What about bribes? Only kidding.

Whats the difference between UL approved and recognized? I would guess one is testing and the other means you are within some guidelines?

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes UL is not-for-profit, and no I haven't accepted any bribes! biggrin.gif

Yes. There is the UL Listed product. This is usually an entire piece of equipment. A PC, TV, VCR, Monitor, etc. which fully complies with the applicable UL standard for safety (For Information Tech. Equip., it is UL 1950).

A UL Recognized component has certain restrictions placed on it. It is not a complete piece of equipment. Exemples would be: a power switch, CD-ROM drive in your PC, Hard drive, X and Y capacitors, plastics, etc, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CEO:

Anyway, to steer this thread back to topic, my vote is for Fionn to win and that other person to lose.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will see but obviously not too soon. Given Fionns experience with the games development, He is really setting himself up for an embarressment if he loses. I will have to look out for "potato masher" grenade attacks especially since he has demanded that he be the Germans.

Lewis

• 3 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Save it for the Gold release fellas. Plenty of time for challenging and posturing later. Heck, I am thinking that we should have a seperate UBB forum for the stuff smile.gif There is going to be a lot of that and taunting when the game comes out for sure.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea! How about a forum for PBEM challenges?

Well, actually, after I took a stance against what I considered some homophobic attitudes on the forum Lusername emailed me and told me that since I didn't agree with bigotry versus homosexuals that he felt I was gay and he refused to play a "gay person" ( his language was a little more colourful of course wink.gif ).

So, my challenge still stands but Lusername seems to feel I'm gay and thus won't play me. ( My heart is wounded with a meliforous langour. (NOT! ) wink.gif )