Tanks now Shoot thru houses in v1.1b?

thruhouse2.jpg

and....

http://142.55.231.199/aka_tom/house/thruhouse2.html

Does this look right?, the Pershing is half way into the house and shoots right thru it and 3 other enemy tanks can spot it and return fire.

This is not an odd corner of a house it is shooting and aiming and get shot at straight thru the house as though it was actually IN the house?

is this new to v1.1b?

thruhouse1.jpg

http://142.55.231.199/aka_tom/house/thruhouse1.html

thanks, just curious, is this intentional?

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-08-2000).]

About a week ago in a "quickie" (1.05) I had same issue when StuG was hiding behind Light Buildingm then turned, targeted M10 about 300m away. First shot detonated somewhere in the house, second - sent M10 to Creator.

I did a little test after that and found that it only works with Light Buildings (i think it is supposed to be windows what is modelled there).

[This message has been edited by ciks (edited 12-06-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>is it new to v1.1b?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. I had had that issue in 1.05.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Looks like a bug though. If it's a designer scenario it can also be the result of the designer changing terrail elevation after placing the house there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. If a tank is placed right behind a house it CAN see through it.

Off course field of sight is very narrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Maybe the Pershing pokes the long gun through the house... wink.gif

Looks like a bug though. If it's a designer scenario it can also be the result of the designer changing terrail elevation after placing the house there.

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to worry about that

I designed that scenario My self

and that Pershing does not start out there,

I moved it with a hunt order right into the

building as you see it.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-06-2000).]

Any other comments or observations?

Am I the only arm chair General on this board that did not read the readme for v1.05 to know the tanks and other units (? I think ) can now spot and shoot straight thru light buildings?

Is this news to any one else?

-tom w

I've seen this problem too. It looks like a clipping error. I was playin Chambois last night (don't worry, I won't spoil anything) and I had a tank roll up so that half of it was actually in a small building. Effectively the building stopped to exist for purposes of spotting and was only on and off for purposes of cover. Anything that didn't actually hit the tank hit the building. But things that did hit the tank went right through a wall or two.

I'm quoting from page 45 of the manual:

"There is even a very small chance that a round can make it into and THROUGH a building, exploding on the other side."

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

This is definetly not a bug, AP round goes through houses so swiftly, especially light wooden ones. I think this is modelled quite good in CM.

But that spotting is matter to notice, I don't think it isn't so easy to spot tank behind building, when it is not moving. It is not impossible but at least formidable.

Contrary it is much easier to spot tanks which are moving from stopped tank behind building. But when you shoot you are spotted right away. I think this is one more praise to CM about its attention to detail.

Guest Rollstoy

Personally I believe that spotting and shooting through houses should be left to FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS. I had enough experiences with this in the Close Combat series and I do not want it to come back again. You should not introduce randomness to everything, and I think it is a rather well approximation of reality that NOTHING can shoot through houses.

Regards,

Thomm

Sgt. Bobby Bramwell, 4th CLY, 7th AD:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The next tank along certainly was a Tiger. I had reversed back a bit and I could see it through the windows of the house on the corner, so we traversed our gun and began to engage it through the windows, first with HE, which made a terrible mess of the house, and then with AP. I don't know how many shots we fired, but anyway, we knocked it out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From The Desert Rats: 7th Armoured Division 1940 - 1945 by Robin Neillands.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Sgt. Bobby Bramwell, 4th CLY, 7th AD:

SNIP - Bastables-like comparison of reality to the game - SNIP

From The Desert Rats: 7th Armoured Division 1940 - 1945 by Robin Neillands.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OHMYGOD - the Fanatical Batallions of Fact (in this case 4th BN The London Regiment - The Flamebreathers) are on the attack again... biggrin.gif

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

OT,

Tom W, gorgeous screens. What mods are you using?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

I do pride myself in mod selection (tom pats self on back smile.gif )

I was a HUGE fan of Gunslinger's "toned down" look. First Off Gunslinger Changed EVERYTHING, he toned down and subdued and modified EVERY .bmp file in the game.

Then other's followed suit and modified certain elements. I am still using some of Gunslinger's buildings, (because he is the only one so far to provide something that looks like a shed or a barn) some of Magua's buidlings are in there and some of Panzertruppen's buildings.

I have used the latest tree's from DD and his tree bases. I think the grass is Gunslinger's?

ALL mods have a "subdued" or "toned Down" feel to them.

the .jpg files you can see posted in this thread are a screen grabs off a Mac G3 (screen grab makes at .pict file) then the .pict file is opened in Adobe Image Ready and it is optimized and saved as a web ready .jpg file and a web .html file is created at the same time.

The scenario is called King of the Hill and I designed it myself. Its a late war, tank battle of Heavy hitters and BIG tanks, plenty of tungsten around to KO BIG german tanks smile.gif

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-08-2000).]

just a bump to remind newer players what Deanco's Gunmetal interface looks like. smile.gif

ALSO if you are new to this game you WILL want to learn quickly what things in the game will provide cover and what won't.

ONLY KO'd vechicles that are BURNING will block LOS, all other vehicles, live or dead or immobile will not block LOS or provide cover.

Pillboxes and bunkers do not provide LOS block or cover for units that are NOT in them. Roadblocks do not bloock LOS or provide cover.

Light houses can occasionally block LOS but somtimes they don't, so don't hide tanks behind light house as it may be spotted and targeted through the windows by enemy units.

Live AFV's do NOT block LOS or LOF and can fire right through each other to their desired target so keep this in mind as you plan your tactics and plot your moves.

Infantry gain no cover or benefit behind any vehicle that is not burning and smoking.

Just a friendly word to the wise.

smile.gif

-tom w