Rhinos and bocage

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

Secondly, the bocage hedgerow terrain tile in CM represents the worst form of real life hedgerow which is impenetrable to tanks. In order to simulate bocage hedgerows of lesser density you need to use other terrain types ie hedge etc

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simon,

I see your point but I still believe the bocage should offer more spotting difficulty than it does. Secondly, my tanks plow right through the bocage terrain. I am not talking about hedgerows, I mean full blown bocage. Granted, it slows them down, but they get through it with relative ease. I just think it should be harder to spot troops hidding in them.

Allan

Allan,

You may be right about the spotting but I can't say as I haven't the full game yet to try it out. If you manage to read the entire thread that I linked to in my previous message you will see that I have reserved my judgement on how bocage will be to fight in until I try it out.

As for your tanks going through it that will only happen if the scenario is in the time period where allied tanks are assumed to have rhino attachments. Otherwise they should certainly not go through the bocage a implemented in CM

Possible SPOILER *******************

Now I just saw an interesting use of bocage that kind of surprises me...

I had 3 Panthers deployed in ambush positions, 1 alone in one area, surrounded by bocage, facing the only open route in and two on the other side of the bocage at the rear of that one, both forming a crossfire at a road intersection.

A lone Sherman pushes forward through the bocage to one side of the lone Panther and takes it out with a couple rounds. The Sherman then turns 90 degrees, and in REVERSE backs through the bocage directly in front of the guns of the other two Panthers. It traverses the turret 90 degrees and takes out the Panther aiming at its side, but does not fire at the Panther aiming at its rear. The Sherman then calmly turns its turret forward and goes forward back through the bocage. During all of this, not one of the 3 Panthers ever seemed to even attempt to fire.

That would have been the end of it, but the Sherman attempted to do exactly the same thing again and when it started to move along the bocage on this side the third Panther finally reacted and put a round into it.

OK, OK, I can accept that the Panther crews were too tunned by the audacity of the lunatics in the Sherman, but BACKWARDS through the bocage - that's one heckuva Sherman tank!!! smile.gif

I have to jump in on the side of "not all American tanks had hedgerow cutters". My limited research indicates they only trickled into the theatre, generally as "add on" kits. I was a bit surprised to read that all tanks possessed them in CM, and chalked it up to a programming difficulty.?