How To Not Loose Tanks

Zigster wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Don't underestimate your mortars. Mortars are brutally effective against open-topped AFVs such as the Hellcats. One hit and kersploomsh. Save your mortar ammo for use against these prime targets, then bring your armour out from behind the buildings or trees you've been using for cover to engage any surviving M18s<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a direct mortar hit will take out a Hellcat, but chances are that you'll hit none of them as they tend to move a lot - especially to get good angels at your StuGs or Tiger, so I don't think it's worth the effort. The mortars can do much more damage to the US infantry, and they really are the main concern in that scenario.

Guest Big Time Software

When you get the final game you will most likely want to save your mortar fire for infantry or fixed weapons (MGs, AT guns, etc.) The variable for hitting an open topped vehicle in the Beta Demo was too generous.

As Zigster just found out, the majority of combat casualties in WWII were from shell fragments from aritllery and mortars. The wartime average was less than this, but for something like Normandy I can see it being a bit higher.

Steve

1) Tell me honestly, on your 1st blind game of Last Defense, did you

leave that Tiger back on overwatch, or did you rush in like a maniac,

like the rest of us?

On my first try, I went in real cautiously. I suspected a bazooka in the first house (now I know it isn't possible to put one there in the beginning), or an antitank gun hidden somewhere!

So I kept tiger safe on the hill, and my first stug was just in the straight road when the HC:s came. Sweet victory was mine smile.gif (when possible, I just stay put and bombard the enemy into oblivion)

Oh, the survival thing: don't position tanks facing straight into enemy, but slightly tilted.