Why scout vehicle don't hunt?

I agree that this is really odd since according to folks on this forum that seem to be in the know, that is exactly how scouts work. They approach a suspected enemy position and peak over a hill, out of woods, or around a building. I think that true scout vehicles have been lumped in with normal halftracks and other transporters which I postulate are prohibited from hunting to reduced gamey tactics.

BTS?

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

I don't know whether scout vehicles or halftracks should be given the ability to hunt, but I believe the reason they can't hunt is because they don't have main guns like a tank or AC. AFIK, vehicles that have a MG as their heaviest armament can't hunt in CM.

From what I have seen a Lynx is the minimum tank for a hunt command. All scout cars that have at least a 20 mm also can hunt. I like Lacky's idea of a "scout command" or maybe a "cautious move" or "creep" command. That is to say an opened AFV would move very slowly and stop at the indication of any enemy units.

Pedro

A scout command would be kind of cool for vehicles with machineguns and no main guns. I have noticed when issued regular movement commands these vehicles tend to do precisely what's being discussed, at least usually. I've sent halftracks to peak over crests; when they spot a nasty tank they'll try to reverse to cover. If they spot infantry or soft vehicles they open up. Usually. I think a lot depends on crew experience as well. But, a scout command would still be cool.

Actually that was Steve who spoke:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Generally speaking, players often try to do TOO much in too short a period of time. Good recon involves a lot of stopping and looking around. This means using PAUSE, inherent C&C delays, or whole turns. When a unit is not moving it can detect far more than when it is, just like real life. You can do plenty with the orders already in the game if you use them correctly and do not try to have your units pack 10 minutes worth of scouting into 1 or 2 turns.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>