US paratroopers organisation

Hello,

I've been searching the web without finding any good answer so I decide to post it on this forum.

The question is quite simple actually : can somebody give me the organisation of US paratroopers from battalion down to individual level ?

I'd like battalion level to be synthetic but would love to get weapons for each man at squad and company levels ( I know it depends, I mean : some generalities ).

I'll use these datas to accurately play board wargames using 1/72 scale miniatures smile.gif

Thanks in advance !

Magnus

------------------

Venez visiter le seul site consacré à Combat Mission en français : Appui-feu http://appui-feu.panzershark.com

Guest Big Time Software

Well, you can just check this sort of info directly in CM, but since you don't have your copy yet I'll oblige. smile.gif This is slightly simplified for ease of typing/reading, and the small arms assigned to the squad are "semi-official" as the paras had a habit of using whatever weapons they liked smile.gif. Also, we've shifted a couple of guys "out" of the squads to man the .30cal MMGs. By strict TO&E these MMGs were actually part of the squad, but since CM represents MMGs separately, we broke them out (notice that the squad itself now has 10 men, not 12). So what you see below is not a "true" TO&E, but rather the TO&E more like you'd see "in the field".

US Paratroop Battalion

..1 x HQ Company

....1 x 81mm Mortar Battery

....8 x .30cal MMG

....8 x Bazooka

..3 x Paratroop Company

....3 x Paratroop Platoon

......3 x .30cal MMG

......1 x Bazooka

......1 x 60mm Mortar

......3 x Paratroop Squad

........5 x M1 Garand Rifle

........2 x Carbine

........2 x SMG

........1 x BAR

Charles

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-15-2000).]

Wouldn't dare contradict BTS, (Not while they still have my game smile.gif ), but I'll put the info from the US Army Handbook here, which comes from T/07-35T, 24 Feb, 1944:

HQ Company:

-----7 Officers, 165 men

-----8 .30 cal MG

-----4 81mm mortars

-----9 Bazookas

Rifle Company (x 3)

-----8 Officers, 168 men

----------Rifle Platoon (x 3)

---------------HQ (2 Off., 5 men)

---------------2 LMG

---------------1 Bazooka

----------Rifle Squad (x3)

---------------12 men

---------------1 .30 cal LMG

---------------1 BAR

---------------2 .30 cal Carbines

---------------10 .30 cal Rifles M1

----------60mm Mortar Squad

---------------6 men

---------------1 60mm Mortar

Glider Battalions were set up differently with more heavy weapons.

Guest Big Time Software

I'm looking at the same thing and ... whoops, typo. smile.gif You're right it's 9 bazookas in the HQ Co., not 8. It's 8 in the glider unit.

We ignored the "LMG" in the platoon HQ because there just aren't enough men in the TO&E to carry these weapons and sufficient ammo to use them. Most likely they are spare guns (the Germans did this too).

Otherwise everything else lines up, given the slight re-org we did to make the MMGs separate teams.

Charles

a fine source I've used for WWII platoon-and-below TO&Es is available from Quality Castings. They do miniatures in 15mm and it's called "Gamer's Guide to WW II Small Unit Organizations and TO&Es". Item 5027 at http://www.qualitycast.com/misc.htm.

I'm sure it's based on all the sources most folks have available to them and/or scattered around, but for $9.00, 11 countries-worth of platoon orgs in one booklet is worth it to me.

-dale