What about the first world war?

Ok I know the first world war was not about maneuver, I also know that on the western front the two sides would basicly lob arty at each other all day.

But wouldent it be cool though if BTS realeased a Mod or a patch that included some of the larger and more famous ww1 battles? ex. The somme, Verdon, Beluwood,ect.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by virtualfreak:

Ok I know the first world war was not about maneuver, I also know that on the western front the two sides would basicly lob arty at each other all day.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to nit pick but there were alot of "maneuver" battles in WW1, even on the West Front early in the campaign, prior to the "race to the sea".

------------------

What you see depends mainly upon what you look for.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 82nd Airborne:

Not to nit pick but there were alot of "maneuver" battles in WW1, even on the West Front early in the campaign, prior to the "race to the sea".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maneuver warfare basically ended in 1914 on the Western Front. The generals hoped that tanks would give the armies the ability to manuever again, but the fact that they went at walking pace, were extremely vulnerable to artillery, and broke down frequently made them fairly useless except as a novelty and as a foreshadowing of things to come.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

There are areas of WWI where it could be interesting. Ever read Rommel's book "Attacks"? All the battle he describes were battle of maneauver. And ingenious ones at that, imagine capturing 3 regiments with less than a company.

Unfortunately a lot of the game would need to be redone to simulate the different weapons.

I'll try to clarify my opinion a bit.

I'm not saying that there weren't any battles in WW1 which would be interesting to simulate. There were.

But, to paraphrase Steve, CM simulates the average battle, not the outliers.

I think we can all probably agree that the average battle on the Western Front was static, attritional, miserable, and fought for non-existant gains.

I think that there are other conflicts which the CM engine would better, and more enjoyably, model.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Guest Mike the bike

It's a shame it has to be exclusive at this stage.

I agree that there were many fronts in WW1 where CM would do a great job - 1914 in the west has been mentioned, but also in the east you have great opportunities!

And then there's Palestine, and, overlooked by many, the Western Front in 1918, where a battle involving a company might be to take a small patch of ground from the defenders.

At CM's scale these things ARE NOT the stereotyped WW1-trench warfare. They are pretty much the same as company sized actions in WW2!

The reason why I brought this subject up was because I believe that the CM engine can reproduce a lot of diffrent and diverse battles of diffrent wars it can go well beyond WW2.

I mean just imagine it, With just a few mod changes we could use the CM engine to recreat the charge up San Juan hill or the Tet offensive.