Tank Movement - AI Placed Tank In Open Ground

I'm wondering why I'm seeing some unusual tank behavior, perhaps being exhibited by the AI. In the latest incident, I was playing an e-mail game and moving my Sherman from open ground to a location behind a heavy building. The tank traversed the distance specified by my command, and then backed up and went to the other side of the building, in clear line of site of my opponent, where he then nailed me.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Are there certain situations that create it (or setup the AI to do this)?

Thanks for your help.

Guest Pillar

Just be more careful where you move your tank.

If you select an area of terrain that isn't traversable, in this case you clipped the building, the TacAI will try to interpret another route.

I think the TacAI is taking inititive in engaging the enemy.That is the overall objective of war of course. Since the TacAI tries to simulate "thought" its only natural for a tank commander to want to engage and destroy the enemy. We all have an ego,even computer tanks may have some.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think the TacAI is taking inititive in engaging the enemy.That is the overall objective of war of course. Since the TacAI tries to simulate "thought" its only natural for a tank commander to want to engage and destroy the enemy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know, the TacAI won't plot a movement order to engage a target, try a flanking move, ect. If the tank saw an enemy while on the move to the building, it might stop and fire, or pop smoke and reverse, ect. Without seeing the replay, hard to say why it reversed. perhaps as stated by Pillar, you clipped a corner of the building or other impassable terrain right before the end of the move path, so it reversed to try and bypass the obstacle. Or perhaps when the tank got to it's stop point, it spotted another enemy unit and the TacAI reversed to get out of LOS, but the reverse inadvertantly brought it into LOS of the enemy that did kill your tank.

Like I said. Hard to know.

Never mind tanks - what about pillboxes?

This was the Gold Demo, admittedly - but the AI couldn't have made its pillboxes any more obvious in Valley of Trouble if it had painted them fluorescent pink and hung a banner on top saying "Ha ha Amis, bet you can't guess where I've hidden my pillbox!".

David

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 07-29-2000).]

i don't think i clipped the building, but even if i did, the tank reversed, rotated, and then moved around/forward to the north side of the building. not a very intelligent maneuver, since the n side of the building was completely exposed to my opponent. i've seen this behavior a couple of times. the next time, i'll save the movie and perhaps we can analyze it.

thanks