Roster War, ceasefire

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Pascal DI FOLCO wrote:

> No, the real reason is that in such a BBS it's quite impossible to follow a thread with 100+ posts [...] Starting a thread gives a new start to threads where noone has the courage to go to page 10

Excuse me, who exactly doesn't "have the courage" to go to page 10? That is your personal opinion - not an excuse to disrupt the running of this board.

There are now three recent threads based on this discussion. The earlier threads are continuing, which is a far more difficult situation than simply having a long thread. By starting a new thread, you force people to restate things they've already said, while new posts made to previous threads are lost to the discussion.

I say again, kindly do not fragment the discussion just because you don't personally like long threads. You're not solving any problems, and you're certainly causing some.

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello David,

Are you some kind of self-appointed hidden moderator, telling other how and when to post threads ?

Yes, it sucks having to browse through a 100+ long pile of responses to posts, so I open a thread WHENEVER I WANT !

And what harm am I causing, this BBS has 8000+ threads !!!

Some guys here seem to think that they own the board :mad

Please bug off.

------------------

PDF

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Germanboy

Actually I quite like long threads. Once they go beyond 50, you can be pretty sure that people start shouting at each other for what originally was a really minor niggle. What a lot of fun. And a testament to the fact that there is too much coffee and not enough relaxing drugs in the world. It might also have something to do with a general lack of common courtesy and respect for other people's opinions/time/work, but hey, in that respect it reflects the state of the world. (And before someone starts shouting at me, I know I have made my mistakes too).

The most boring thread regarding pointless abuse and shouting is 'Mr.Peng, I take our challenge public', in which we all still respect each other despite the abuse heaped around. It is a funny old world indeed.

No doubt somebody will now come and tell me off for this post, because I do not understand the earth-shattering importance of the issues that warrant going to flame-wars.

------------------

Andreas

Germanboy, your failure to understand the importance of flame wars shows your obvious...um...ignorance of the grand history of ill-considered statements! Why, um, in 1778 King George III turned to his Minister of Sewage and proclaimed "Thine opinion on Foul Open Sewers is that of a Three Year Old, thou perfumed French Whore!" Whereupon the Minister of Sewage replied "Thou art a Great Whopping Arsehole, and have clearly missed my Point."

So you see, flames have a long history and should be respected as such.

Yep.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Thanks Andreas

I enjoyed your last post and it was orignal and humourous.

I was about to suggest this thread is just getting silly now.... but I think we are beyond that.

oh well

I suggest (somewhat akin to Andreas) maybe we should all spend more time playing the Damn Game (or designing new scenarios, which you enjoy more) AND spend ALOT less time on this BBS arguing with each other or trivial details which are for the most part) completely beyond our control.

It has become quite clear to me that there are some of us here, who would rather rant and flame and spout closely held and firnly believed personal opinions on this BBS then get into a good PBEM slug fest.

oh well...

Sad but, apparently, true.

-tom w

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

So you see, flames have a long history and should be respected as such.

Yep.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. To repent, I shall go forth and flame to my heart's delight. Let me start with you.

Obviously you are as clueless as a mole in that respect. Clearly nobody would dare to go to a flamewar over sewage, because of the danger of sudden ignition of Methane (on a BBS, this has been replaced by a padlock). So don't wriggle your finger at me you pathetic excuse for a slackass posterboy. Flamewars were actually outlawed in the first Hague Convention (97th replacement protocol, unfortunately not ratified by the US Senate and therefore useless). So there. Go and do your reading before posting about issues on which you clearly have as much understanding as the dead Shrew presented by my cat to me last night again.

Oh, and would it not be great if we all treated each other with the respect that I deserve?

Tow W - a forlorn hope I fear.

This is much more fun than discussing rosters. And am I the only one or is Steve getting a bit slack with the old padlock?

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

And a testament to the fact that there is too much coffee and not enough relaxing drugs in the world.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's more a problem to me that there's too much LOUSY coffee in the world. Dammit, why can't my office's break room stock something with some actual "taste" or "aroma" instead of the usual crap that tastes more like gutter drainage or used transmission fluid?

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Hmmm....well, at least the caffiene's working. biggrin.gif

Decaf coffee......misses the whole point to even drinking coffee in the first place.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spook:

Decaf coffee......misses the whole point to even drinking coffee in the first place.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spook, what kind of a man are you? If it does not taste like transmission fluid it can not be coffee.

And remember, never drink fair-trade coffee. The taste is off, no blood of the suppressed workers on it.

------------------

Andreas

Flamewars were actually outlawed in the first Hague Convention (97th replacement protocol, unfortunately not ratified by the US Senate and therefore useless). So there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pfft! Clearly the ordnance at hand is the 1934 Tijuana Accord, which, while it outlawed flame "wars" per se, allowed for the occurance of flame "police actions," a loophole which has since been interpreted by international military tribunals to permit all sorts of de facto flame conflicts. This information is covered in Crabby Appleton's excellent 1946 book " On the Origin of Flame Wars ." I suggest you read it before you make yourself out to be an even bigger Guppy than you are.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 08-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Thanks Andreas

I enjoyed your last post and it was orignal and humourous.

I was about to suggest this thread is just getting silly now.... but I think we are beyond that.

oh well

I suggest (somewhat akin to Andreas) maybe we should all spend more time playing the Damn Game (or designing new scenarios, which you enjoy more) AND spend ALOT less time on this BBS arguing with each other or trivial details which are for the most part) completely beyond our control.

It has become quite clear to me that there are some of us here, who would rather rant and flame and spout closely held and firnly believed personal opinions on this BBS then get into a good PBEM slug fest.

oh well...

Sad but, apparently, true.

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, this thread IS completely silly & out of control.

I totally agree with you & Andreas now, on this point at least. But I ENJOY wrecking havoc wherever I pass, so I'm happy biggrin.gif now and can go back to the game !

Guest Germanboy

Pfft! Clearly the ordnance at hand is the 1934 Tijuana Accord, which, while it outlawed flame "wars" per se, allowed for the occurance of flame "police actions," a loophole which has since been interpreted by international military tribunals to permit all sorts of de facto flame conflicts. This information is covered in Crabby Appleton's excellent 1946 book " On the Origin of Flame Wars ." I suggest you read it before you make yourself out to be an even bigger Guppy than you are.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everybody (and the kitchensink, might I add) knows that Appleton was suffering from delusions when he wrote that book, because a Sherman escape hatch fell onto his head when he went for some fags during a victory parade break in Berlin 1945, and was startled by Churchill. That book is about as close to reality as Grimm's Fairy Tales. As for the Tijuana accords, they were just rehashing the Hague stuff, as everything going on Tijuana it was just an excuse for a party.

Government minister: 'There is this really important conference, I have to go there on a luxury liner, and we will lie on the beach, err work very hard to achieve world peace, while having Tequila Sunrise, err, learn'd discussions.' Do yourself a favour and stop exposing the soft underbelly of your thin-crusted knowledge on these matters to the cruel light of day.

------------------

Andreas

Poor Andreas. It must be difficult going through life with such a glaring and unfortunate lack of a grade school education. I mean, really. Hague. Feh!

Appleton's work has been described as "magisterial" and "the definitive flame war reference" by such eminent historians as Marlin Goldenfish and Greg Birdstuff. Surely you're not prepared to besmirch the venerable Professor Birdstuff?

------------------

Guest Germanboy

Poor Andreas. It must be difficult going through life with such a glaring and unfortunate lack of a grade school education. I mean, really. Hague. Feh!

Appleton's work has been described as "magisterial" and "the definitive flame war reference" by such eminent historians as Marlin Goldenfish and Greg Birdstuff. Surely you're not prepared to besmirch the venerable Professor Birdstuff?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And from what sad corner of the world do you come from where they hold Prof. Birdstuff (fondly known in countries with an actual education system as opposed to child labour as Prof. Birdbrain) in such esteem? Everybody (and the proverbial) knows that Prof. Bird****'s forthspewings would have been better employed as toilet tissue, and that the German proverb 'The Goldenfish starts smelling at the head' refers to said person. Maybe it is high time for you to start reading, if indeed you are capable of doing that.

Shurely I am the biggest Guppy in this pond. I am just waiting for Ethan to expose some more of his ignorance on the matter here, but for the moment you will do, Chumbawamba.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Shurely I am the biggest Guppy in this pond. I am just waiting for Ethan to expose some more of his ignorance on the matter here ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh my, is Ethan exposing himself again? I had hoped he had that afflication under control but apparently not. And who is this "Shurely" of whom you speak? Another of your obscure references which you trot out to "prove" your point yet again? Odd, isn't it, how no one else can ever find a copy or indeed a reference from your sources. No doubt they're tucked away in a cobwebbed corner of your current institutions library ... or a corner of your imagination.

But to drag the thread back on topic for a moment, I for one place myself firmly in the camp favoring rasters. Some of you may have the fancy new monitors but those of us using the "old fashioned" tube models still rely on rasters to produce our screen images and so I must insist that BTS ...... what? Rosters? Not rasters? Oh ... well that's different ... never mind.

Joe

There funny run there guys. <g>

To those who keep saying "go play, stop all this chatter" - I don't read this list at home, only when I'm at work. And while I'm bold enough to spend time dinking here during working hours, I can't actually load the game here, so this is my substitute. : (

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oldgamer:

There funny run there guys. <g>

To those who keep saying "go play, stop all this chatter" - I don't read this list at home, only when I'm at work. And while I'm bold enough to spend time dinking here during working hours, I can't actually load the game here, so this is my substitute. : (<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough...

I write notes on here at work too and also I do not dare load the game (well maybe during lunch).

So we play here smile.gif

-tom w

Guest Germanboy

Uh Joe, I thought you should know better. Have a Camomile tea, you know that serious discussions are best left to those who know what they are talking about, i.e. me. My references are all available freely, all you have to do is go to a little known town in the Bavarian Alps, negotiate your way through the mountain pass, hand a black goat to Sepp the farmer, climb down the disused mineshaft, negotiate the submerged lake, et voilá. If that is too much to ask, you can not be serious about participating in the discussion.

Oldgamer, haven't you read the note (roundabout post 50)? I post it again for your benefit here:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Das OKW gibt bekannt:

The thread known as 'Roster War, ceasefire' was today taken over in a brilliant and gallant action by the forces of sillyness. Despite the absence of support by the AoP and various plumming implements, our gallant troopers Gerbiltoy, Chumbawamba and Joe (boring handle) Shaw have annihilated the last bit of resistance and are now busy stomping out the flames by shouting silly abuse at each other. Another day, another victory. Lang lebe Karl-Heinz.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Andreas

GermingBoy, regardless of what you may or may not have been doing with a black goat in the Bavarian Alps (and trust me, inquiring minds do NOT want to know) I hold myself above such petty and demeaning activities as responding to your virtually incoherent ramblings. So please take this response as a non-response and as proof that I am incapable of being provoked by the likes of you. BTW, I understand the goat looks charming in a pink baby doll, best of luck to you both.

Joe

I'm rather glad that this thread has lost its gravity and become rather more light-hearted. However, I must maintain my reputation as a humourless pedant, and reply to this comment by Pascal:

> Yes, it sucks having to browse through a 100+ long pile of responses to posts, so I open a thread WHENEVER I WANT !

Okay, a discussion begins in Thread 1. When it reaches 100 posts, you decide it's too long, and you start a new thread on the same subject, Thread 2. Now people are obliged to decamp to the new thread, which is attracting more attention.

However, much discussion has already taken place in Thread 1. This does not become irrelevant. Anyone seeking to develop the discussion in Thread 2, needs to have already read Thread 1 - so the new thread saves nobody any time.

If your goal is just to stoke the fire of argument, you're succeeding - but most of us involved in such discussions are seeking progress. Progress will not happen if you keep fragmenting the discussion for your own amusement.

I'm not a moderator, this is just common sense. I know I'm being heavy, but just because what you're doing serves your own needs, doesn't mean everyone else will benefit too. As I've said before on another subject - say or do what you like in a post, but don't mess around with threads.

David

Now I and I must lay down the true Rosterfarian line because, Jah Mercy, I and I is truly living in Babylon now. I and I thinks Germinating Boy has been smoking too many of my halftracks and ignoring the good harvest, Jah love. And Joe Shaw, no problem, irie, 'cause my Yardies are going to show you the true knowledge of the Lion of Judah, Haile Selassie, Jah love, man.

Chumbawambajerkchickenandcurriedgoat, you be living in the love light of Jah, and Professor Appleton be down with the truth of the fiery flaming Jah Thunder and Lightning martyrdom of the great Bob Marley. Irie! Jah love.

And Pascal and David Aitken, lay off the scotch bonnet hotsauce, take a hit of my good harvest and bask in the Zion Coptic Love Light of Jah Mercy and Love.

And don't go touching that black goat, she's mine, no problem.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Chumbawambajerkchickenandcurriedgoat, you be living in the love light of Jah, and Professor Appleton be down with the truth of the fiery flaming Jah Thunder and Lightning martyrdom of the great Bob Marley. Irie! Jah love.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, thanks?

And as for you, Verminboy, your foul, camel-like stench may distract weaker men from noticing your staggeringly ignorant statements (I still can't get over that Hague thing. I mean, really) but I am undeterred! The venerable Birdstuff is a master of his field, and just because you have Kartoffeln for brains gives you no right to abuse such a distinguished and learned gentleman. In response to this, that, and the other, I invite you to send a setup for a PBEM game, whereupon your ill-begotten Kameltruppen will surely wreak havoc with my standup young men, THEREBY proving my moral superiority to all! My will is strong! My thoughts are clear! My tactics are horrendous! In losing I shall prevail! Mwahahahahahaha!

------------------

Pascal enlightened us with his in-depth understanding of CM's inner workings and his take on how EASY some things would be by saying....

"1- how do you know I have no idea of what I'm talking about ?"

You're not a beta tester for CM. You don't have the in-depth understanding of the inter-relatedness of interface and informational issues and how they interact with both the underlying ideology behind the game design and the manner in which the game is intended to be played.

So much is obvious from your statements.

Also I'll note that ANYONE who says in all seriousness that " adding a or b is SIMPLE" can, by definition, be said to not know what they're talking about as far as computer coding goes wink.gif. Coding is never simple and often, very obvious things from the real world cannot be accomodated due to the vagaries of code.

"And c'mon, let's be serious, this kind of "reporting" is relatively cheap to develop - and I know what I'm talking about - can you accept that ?"

AGAIN you go making groundless assumptions... A is "cheap to develop". B is "simple to add". C won't make any difference to the game. If you are a coder or developer you really should know better than to say these things as anyone with any experience will tell you that, with code, nothing is ever as simple, cheap or easy to integrate as one would imagine.

Also, the argument against an OOB list is NOT on the basis of cost but more due to the fact that it would disturb the current balance between ideology, artistic vision, utilitarian necessity and disrupt the inter-relatedness of information sources in the game and as such would have FAR more effect on the manner in which the game is perceived and played than you seem to understand.

" 2- OBVIOUSLY a roster/OOB/List goes again the game principles ?? I smell here some elitism ("we have the Truth and anyone going against is wrong") AND a good deal of narrow-mindedness..."

No. What YOU have done is set the grounds by which you can avoid having to argue your position against me by portraying my stance as "elitist and narrow-minded". It's an old debating trick...

IF you can paint the other person's viewpoint as narrow-minded and insinuate that it is pointless to discuss the issue with him you can manage to avoid discussing it with him AND avoid being shown up as someone who cannot argue against the position taken by the other team.

It's a very effective tactic and is generally utilised to disparage the opposing team's most powerful point. The old maxim goes that if you can't refute a point you should disparage the person making it wink.gif.

Unfortunately for you I'm well aware of this tactic so I'll say again...

NO this is neither elitism or narrow-minded. This is a simple OBVIOUS statement which can be made by ANYONE who has had the desire sufficient to SEARCH for BTS' previous statements on the subject.

Let's deconstruct the sentence. BTS has stated that an OOB list would, in their opinion, mitigate against the playing of the game in the spirit they want it to be played. THIS then makes their position OBVIOUS aye?

So, when I state that it is "OBVIOUS" that a certain feature goes against the game's principles I amn't making a leap of logic or assumption but merely stating that BTS' position ( as publicly stated) IS OBVIOUS to anyone who did the research.

Unfortunately it seems that my learned opponent isn't quite as learned as he assumes himself to be and failed to do his research.

( Now, for those keeping score, the last paragraph is another time-honoured debating tactic of mine wink.gif .... After showing that the other person's point isn't valid you then

a) liberally apply sarcasm ( learned opponent)

B) imply arrogance ( (isn't as learned as HE ASSUMES HIMSELF TO BE)

c) imply laziness and a failure to both prepare for the debate of the issue at hand and, more importantly, underline the fact that while HE didn't prepare you DID ( else why would you know facts he didn't wink.gif ) .

So, Pascal, in all seriousness there is no elitism there at all there is merely the fact that I seem to be

a) more informed as to the inner workings of the game,

B) more realistic than you

c) KNOW the official position of BTS ( something which it amazes me you seem to be blithely unaware of given the fact that this is SUCH an important issue to you).

Honestly, in future it would do you well to do your research before arguing a point AND I'd thank you not to use basic debating tactics in discussion with me. I'm more than capable of recognising and pointing them out.

Guest Germanboy

Ethan, you da man! Can you send me some of your harvest? I was wondering how long it would take you to appear here and contribute to what has finally become a sensible discussion.

Joe Squaw, if you do not have the guts to sacrifice a goat to Sepp (pink baby dolls? this is not Wales, or Saskatchewan) you also do not have the thingies, I mean, you know what I mean, them to do, err, stuff, you know? Of course you do. If you can not follow the clearly expressed and logically argued thoughts that deeply permeate all my posts, thereby adding not only to the tone, but also the intellectual reach of this board, enobling it in the eyes and mind of the beholders, you clearly should change your diet to contain more garlic and ginseng. It is good for the, errr, thingies, they say. Not the ones you shake at your opponents, the other ones, the... Although they talk a lot, so I shan't say anymore on that.

Driedchickenandgoatjerkin - afraid you will have to get in line. Bit full the roster at the moment. Maybe if Ethan would surrender one of our two games, and stop exposing the private parts of my Cavalry tanks in the other... Of course you in your nefarious negativity will now accuse me of chickenandgoatying out, but not so! Laters, I say.

------------------

Andreas

Fionn,

I have to be honest with you. I take everything you say with a grain of salt after your little flamewar with Mark Sterner over at cdmag.com. Boy, but that was fun to watch.

My question is this. I know you consider yourself to be a military expert. I am not disputing that. Are you a programmer?

You said programming is never simple. Anytime you say never, you pretty much invalidate your argument. Never is a long time. Don't tell us why it's not simple, show us how.

Respectfully,

Land--a programmer

Of course you in your nefarious negativity will now accuse me of chickenandgoatying out, but not so! Laters, I say.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so! Every passing day strengthens my already nearly-godlike mental acuity! Additionally, in adjoining time, I expect that, with a bit of poking and prodding, liberal alcohol rations, and the threat of direct violence, I can train my slowcoach troops not to run at the first sight of danger. Rest assured, however, my tactical idiocy will remain supreme, guaranteeing my lock on the moral high ground!

------------------

I have done a fair share of programming (including game design and development) in the past 20 years. I can, from experience, say that adding two variables, whether it be int, short, long, etc. is not an easy thing since through the declaration, you are setting aside additional memory to handle them. Any changes to the existing code structures, whether it be a bug fix or an enhancement, will likely cause a cascading effect. Solving one problem or adding one function may spawn new problems which must be fixed, and so on. Displaying a typedef array which is made up of individual arrays (which a roster/oob list would be) and to make them referencable to active graphic elements, is a tricky (not to mention time/memory consuming) thing to do. Sure, it can be done but at what cost?