Oddity in PBEM attachment file?

I've noticed something odd occurring when I call up the PBEM file to attach a turn. The numbering runs normally for the first nine turn segments, but when it gets to the tenth, the 10 follows the 1. Turn segment 21 is right after 2, and so on. I very nearly sent the wrong file several times because of this. I think there may be something wrong with the segment placement logic in the roster. The count is accurate, but it's out of sequence.

Regards,

John Kettler

Are you referring to the listing as you see it in the Windows file manager (or email dropdown menu)? If so, then it's not an error. In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with CM, but is an artifact of how Windows lists file names "in order". If you're talking about something other than the Windows listing, then I'm not sure what you're referring to...

Mannheim Tanker,

I'm running CM on an iMac, so I doubt it's Windows at issue here. Say I complete my move, the blue bar goes right, and the black window appears. I save the new turn segment, then exit CM. I then go to my E-mail program, taunt Kingfish, then attach the turn segment file. Whatever that thing is that comes up when I attach the file is listing the turn segments in the peculiar order I earlier described.

Hope this helps.

John Kettler

John,

Is an issue in how the OS reads the name... I use the date column to sort my turns, that way I get the last turn just in top... But I still don't know how to make visible the date column in some programs... I have it in Outlook Express, but don't in CM frown.gif

Ariel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

I've noticed something odd occurring when I call up the PBEM file to attach a turn. The numbering runs normally for the first nine turn segments, but when it gets to the tenth, the 10 follows the 1. <stuff snipped.>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your file manager is using ASCII to sort the list. Add a leading zero or two to sort the "human" way. For example, it currently sorts as follows:

"AB1", "AB10", "AB11", "AB2", etc.

Adding a leading zero or two, it will sort the "correct" way:

"AB01", "AB02", ..., "AB10", "AB11", etc.

or "AB001", "AB002", ..., "AB100", etc.

John, the issue I was trying to describe in Windows is exactly what the others here explained...they were just more eloquent than I was wink.gif In other words, it's an OS issue, not a CM issue. Good luck!

MT

------------------

"Gun damaged are rare on Shermans because they die like red shirts on Star Trek" - Slapdragon