Concrete Bunkers

Heres the deal i was playing the valley of trouble adn i started with a barrage of artillery with 3 or 4 spotters and it to 5 direct hits but took no mayjor damage but i took out their mayjor artillery gun in the process. So i send in the shermans the shot the bunker 3 more times but still with no damage by that time i lost 4 shermans from the damn thing so i took the few shermans left back to a safe area and sent in the troops, once i got close to the anti-tank bunker i shot it twice with bazzokas and yet again NO DAMAGE!!! by thast time the rest of my shermans were shot to bits and most of my troops were shewed up and spit out. I managed to get a squad behind of it and tossed three grenades inside but suprise suprise it didn't blow, then a panzer took those guys out by that time i had just a

handful of troops left and that ended it.

How many hits can these concrete bunkers Take. My count is 12 including grenades.

It just depends. I've had my bunkers not last 1-2 turns in a game, concrete or wooden. If it can be targeted in this game, it usually won't be around much longer. Good placement of bunkers and AT/infanrty guns is essential. Once the enemy discovers where they are it'll be raining heavy artillery on em soon. I had the same experiences in the demo with bunkers, in the final they just don't seem as tough.

-johnS

They were incredibly fragile in the presence of artillery in an earlier incarnation of the game and have been toughened up considerably. There was much discussion on the board about just how much punishment they could take, and the general consensus was "a hell of a lot". Don't count on your artillery taking them out.

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade bolonium to me.

Yep, same as above. The wooden ones can still be taken out without a whole lot of fuss. But Concrete is a hell of a pill box. Don't count on artillery at all. and a tank is going to have to manage a firing slit hit to take one out. Sometime you can beat the front of one enough to damage the gun and make the crew leave though. For the most part your better at just smoking them and moving behind them.

Lorak

In Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose he talks about the Siegfried Line assault (which VoT is supposed to represent). He relayed the scale and power of the initial artillery bombardment (which was huge) and the fact that it really did nothing other than remove camouflage from the bunkers. Several times there was stories about tanks bouncing rounds off the back of the bunkers. From his story telling there was only 2 "sure" ways to take out a bunker, engineers and a 155mm artillery piece firing direct fire. So I think a concrete bunker not being taken out by artillery is very accurate.

Also the bazooka wouldnt be able to penetrate a concrete bunker, no way no how.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

[This message has been edited by Banshee (edited 08-19-2000).]