Third party "PBEM" turn resolution ? 1 e-mail per turn ?

fd ski

BTS - quick question.

Please comment on possibility of this arrangement.

You have a server which "resolves" the turns for both participants.

Player A makes his move and sends the file to ( example ) game113@cmhost.com

Player B makes his move and sends the file to game113@cmhost.com

Once host recieved both games - it computes the resulting clash and sends the movie files to both players.

They watch the movies and give orders for next turn. Then they send it to .... so on..

1 e-mail per turn.

"cheat" safe - since execusion is limited to the server.

Server "mail" portion of it shouldn't be too hard, but the CM part might be a different story, although i bet it uses some sort of "unit 1, location x,y, heading z, morale t" so on format.

Well BTW ? Would this be doable ?

Maybe "open source" format for savegames ( unsecured that is ) would allow you to use the programmers in the community to help to write the phaser ? ( takes two different sets of orders and applies them to the same game - encription would stay for before and after part of the BTS side ) .

What do you think ?

------------------

The problem with speeding up the PBEM process is that it greatly reduces the scope for inter-player taunting. Especially if, as in your proposal, the players aren't talking directly but are sending their turns to some server biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

The problem with speeding up the PBEM process is that it greatly reduces the scope for inter-player taunting. Especially if, as in your proposal, the players aren't talking directly but are sending their turns to some server biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The server could forward the e-mails to the opponents without the attachment. Then you would be still be able to taunt them mercilessly. wink.gif

Jeff

Speaking of taunting mercilessly, and because you never enter the Cesspool, Jeff, I must point out that I am now doing to your right what I had previously done to your center. By the by, did I get your Panther? Did I?

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Speaking of taunting mercilessly, and because you never enter the Cesspool, Jeff, I must point out that I am now doing to your right what I had previously done to your center. By the by, did I get your Panther? Did I?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know... I haven't had a chance to look at the movie yet. The GF was around so the computer was off limits.

Hmmm.. I am curious about my right flank... I actually am approaching that differently so you can't do EXACTLY what you did in the center.

BTW not nice pointing out such stuff when I am trapped here at work! Now I want leave! Damn you! wink.gif

Jeff