Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Mortar use: tips please

Before assaulting enemy positions. Smoke them and pin them down.

Knock out enemy guns and armored cars.

When enemy attacks, destroy the formations.

Use HQ unit as FO, so the mortars won't be under fire.

I never have enough of mortars, I guess I'm thoroughly artillery guy.

In the defense, I use them heavily with spotters. They can be placed in a hide position with LOS to no one while the spotter does nothing but hide. Hmm, sneakier (and more timely) than off board mortars/FOs!

In the attack I find them to be much more difficult to employ, mainly due to their slow speed. I usually end up either letting them sit back and just provide fire support for my intial objectives or move them forward with any vehicles I have available.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

I find that the proper use of mortars requires patience; I tend to use them only when I find a nice big concentration of enemy infantry. Of course there are exceptions, but one needs to resist the temptation to use them as soon as possible, because when the big juicy situation comes up and one is out of ammo... frown.gif. I have had mortars change the tide of battle smile.gif

Henri

I love mortars, esp hidden from LOS(they attract quick attention otherwise) the 60mm / 2 inchers are okay, but the 81mm, ahhhh. At least up until v1.03 they have been very effective as an antitank weapon. I haven't yet seen how the patch changes things. Generally, if it is something I'd call offboard arty down on, I use the mortar. And if that AFV is just sitting there, trying to hide, it's death from above baby

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

I use mortars to pin down squads that are either the target of a tactical move or preventing me from advance. Example: Last night in a QB I used a mortar (2in.) to pin an MG team that was harrassing my line. This allowed my PIAT to have enough time to put a hit on a Lynx that was buttoned. It is all about combos. I also in the same battle close assaulted one tanks that I isolated from it's sister unit woth smoke from mortars. Just my 0.02.