Please help a confused man....

Since I fuigured out that my old piece of crap graphics card is a ATI Rage Pro and can't transparent smoke and fog (but can see transparent buildings...) I decided to buy a reletively up to date card to see fog and other such things. Upon shopping around I found to cards at the same price! Excellent I thought...my Glee was shortlived...Which one should I buy, A Riva or a Guillemot, Both featuring TNT 2

----I was thinking of getting the Guillemot..here is the specs!

Couger Video ED....No clue what that is!

32 MB.......is that good?

Featuring TNT 2!

M64 TM....not entirly sure what that is!

3x4x AGP

2d/3d acceleration

128 bit 3D processer!

Is the above card worth buying and will it make CM more pretty than it already is, and will I see smoke and Fog, my monitor is fine!

Thanks for any advice it is greatly appreciated!

Oh, I’m sure that will do. It may even be over kill for you system though. What speed is your machine? There has been some discussion on video cards so if you do a search you’ll probably learn more than you wanted to know.

I also have an ATI Rage Pro as my primary video card, and it's built into the motherboard which is why I went with a Voodoo2 as a secondary card in an open PCI slot. You can probably get a Voodoo2 cheap. Over at 3dfx.com they have a generic DirectX7 driver which works fine on CM and pretty much all other games. I am running a P2-400 and never have any slowdowns in CM running at 800x600.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markgame:

I also have an ATI Rage Pro as my primary video card, and it's built into the motherboard which is why I went with a Voodoo2 as a secondary card in an open PCI slot. You can probably get a Voodoo2 cheap. Over at 3dfx.com they have a generic DirectX7 driver which works fine on CM and pretty much all other games. I am running a P2-400 and never have any slowdowns in CM running at 800x600.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you getting transparent (hi quality) smoke & fog using the voodoo 2 card with the reference drivers? I was under the impression that the voodoo 2 card couldn't do that in CM.

I have an 8 MB Diamond Voodoo 2, but I'm using Diamond's drivers (the newest is at least about year old). I don't like to use reference drivers unless I'm having a problem, so let me know if you can see the fog & hi quality some, if so, I'll get the ref. drivers.

Thanks.

--Philistine

Back before the game came out, BTS indicated that a 16 meg vid card would be the minimum to get the full effect of the graphics.

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" — Oddball

"Crap." — Moriarty