Please help with scenarios (need help from everyone)

I would just like to expand on a post made earlier by Gustang about the order in which to play the scenarios and opps. What I was wondering is if there is any quick way to sort them by Date, eg from the para drops on D-Day through to Arnhem. Or even better would be to have a Map (a very bacic one) of Europe with the sites of the battles on it and arrows indicating the direction the fighting went. Now i have a general idea about the progression of the war from D-Day on, but alot of these places i have never heard of. I would just like to get a big picture of the whole thing in my head as i feel it would add greatly to my gaming experience to be able to play all the scenarios and Opps through as they historically happened. (yes i am aware that some scenarios are fictional)Its just that this is my first wargame and i feel that it would take me to long to reserch on my own but i was wondering if i could call upon the wealth of knowledge within this forum to knock together a sort of list from begining to end. like a little text file that all the less informed like myself could download and print.

thanks and over to you.

If you haven't played much of the game, my suggestion is to play the training scenarios first. I think there are 3 of them including the one used in the game manual. Set up some easy and simple quick battles and practice on them.

As to which order to play the scenarios, the briefings should give you some idea of the time and date.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I think Gingko's idea is a sound one. Yes, why not have a map that shows roughly when and where the scenarios take place. I know this would not work for all the custom scenarios but for the stock scenarios delivered with the game why not have a map like the strategic timeline-location-map cc3 uses.

Another idea, why not have a small, stylized map with each scenario, included in the briefing, of the "you are here" - kind, you know, white, with the outlines of borders and the frontline (bombline) shown, and a red arrow saying "Merde-sur-Mer, Aug. 6th, 1944".

just an idea, maybe reasonable, for CM2....

Hi Gingko,

If this is your first game of this sort, I really don't think it's a great idea to play the scenarios in chronological order. You're going to find yourself in hot water pretty fast with some of the humungous ones. Going by size is a much better idea.

If you really want to use CM as an educational tool to learn the history I would maybe read through a few books covering D-Day, Market Garden, The Bulge etc. and then search for scenarios that are mentionned in the books (there's at least 3-4 with the game on each of the major battles that I mentionned above). Go slowly and soon those places you've never heard of will start ringing a bell.

p.

Thanks for the replys guys, and Peterk that sounds like good advice, infact I've just finished reading "A Bridge to Far. (C. Ryan)"

so ive got an idea of the whole Market Garden thing and what a mess that Op was. Next book will be "The Longest Day" if i can find it at the Shops...