CM in TRUE 3D!

Guest Moiety

Guest Moiety

With the recent release of the "Relevator" 3D glasses, that work in coordination with the z-buffer of your 3d card, we could see the whole battle in complete 3d! That that objects will appear to jump right out of your monitor!

Remember to duck!

I'm just wondering if they are in fact compatible with CM. If so, I'm sold on both!

Guest Moiety

Two things: Where do you buy them?

and

What is TFT?

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if anyone would take the post seriously or not.

I'm really getting obsessed with this game! biggrin.gif

I bought the Revelator glasses at a local electronics shop. You can also get them from www.elsa.de directly, I think. It works on most 3D cards, but you need a screen that supports at least 100 Mhz (120 is better).

TFT - those thin plasma-display screens. They work different than "normal" monitors and have usually lower refresh rates (although display quality is superb, that's why I have one).

Guest Moiety

Ah, ok. I see what you mean now.

I'm going to check "Future Shop" to see if they have them. In the mean time, if you ever do get a monitor that supports the glasses let me know how it goes.

Guest GriffinCheng

TFT means thin-film transistor. Used nowadays in most notebook computers and flat panel computer displays. It was once known as "active matrix" becuase, when compared with "passive" matrix, each color element (red/green/blue) is represented seperately in a single pixel. This means that the color is not "washed-out" and is more brillant and sharper. IIRC, they are developed jointly by Sharp and Texas Instrument.

The 3D glasses mentioned may be the same product as the one comes with Asus video card.

Griffin @ work

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Pillar

A little while back I posted this (when I had the different alias).

Just wondering if anyone has tried them yet with Combat Mission and if so, what was it like?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pillar

Bump up...

Just in case now that some people have had the game for a while they might feel like telling me. wink.gif

Actually the Revelator glasses do a hell of a job if you play CM or Panzer Elite.

You won´t regret it. If your monitor is capable of producing at least 120 Hz in 800x600 or above you should go and get´em.

Since I have bought my glasses last year in december I never played a game without them.

You will really SEE your units in hulldown position, etc.

Try to get the IR version, that avoids hassle with the wire and full freedom of movement in front of your monitor.

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

Scott,

Which graphicboard do you have ? I have the ELSA Erazor II (TNT1, 16megs) and they work absolutely flawless.

Just installed the Revelator drivers and everything worked AOK.

Helge

------------------

- The DesertFox -

Guest Pillar

I have a V770 TNT2. Do you think it will work well with that even though it's not built by the same company?

Could you describe how things actually look with these glasses? Do things flicker or are the graphics degraded at all?

My interest is really peaked.

Thanks

Pillar,

For reviews read :

http://www.bedfordmags.com/cbg/backissues/mar/eye/

On compatibility and generic drivers :

http://www3.elsa.de/www/filearea.nsf/files/557A1D16A6865317412568880047FB99?opendocument

My own experience is that the Revelator has totally changed the immersion of 3D games which use Z-buffering. You really get the impression to be there in the 3D landscape and are part of the game. The 3dimensional depth these glasses can give you make Combat Mission [gold demo, but should be no problem on the full game] and Panzer Elite a totally new experience.

It´s hardly describable in words. You really get the impression to be inside the game landscape.

I haven´t seen any flickering nor degradation of graphics which is worth mentioning IMO

Helge

------------------

- The DesertFox -

I have the Viper V770...

The drivers take a long time to initialize, and during Combat mission, the glasses don't work properly... they do for other games, but I get a headache after watching for just a little while...

*shrugs*

I dunno, I haven't really played around with them

-Scott

because of this thread I broke out my revelators and tried them again... after reloading everything they worked...

I remember now what drove me crazy though...

the glasses occassionally flicker, (or don't flicker I guess would be the more proper term), the result being nausiating dual-frame veiws every couple seconds. It seems to be tied to the the scene rather than just be a problem with the glasses (the flickers occur during explosions, or when there are a lot of polygons on the screen)

while they work they are cool, but the flickering while I move gives me a headache too much.

I'm going to try it on my other computer later today... see if maybe its a lack-of-horsepower issue (my desktop is only a 350 mhz k6 original..., I use my laptop for almost everything now, my desktop is just a light-duty web-server)

hehe, maybe I Can get this working, that'd rock if so smile.gif

-Scott

Pillar,

It´s a Samsung Syncmaster 950p 19" Monitor. Tech Specs are:

horizontal 30kHz to 96kHz

vertikal 50Hz to 160 Hz

Max resolution is 1600*1200, but I usually use 1152*864 at 105Hz for Windows and if I use the Revelators I switch to 1024*768 at 120 Hz.

Helge

------------------

- The DesertFox -

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I also purchased the revelator, I was impressed by seeing cm in 3d, but the drivers are weak, it causes problems in cm, and yes it can give you a hedache. They are still a neat idea, but you need a monitor with a refresh rate above 100mhz

I'm also confused as to what type of vid card you need to run the revelator. I bought the revelator online a day or two ago, i check out the reviews, and they all say i need a elsa vid card. =\ It better work with my tnt2U or i'm gonna go crazy.

-KOP

They (Elsa) say that they have tested them with some non-elsa boards and published a generic driver. So you have to trust their word wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> ELSA 3D REVELATOR, Generic driver for TNT/TNT2 and GeForce.

Driver with OpenGL (NVIDIA TNT/TNT2-M64/TNT2) and D3D windowed support for ELSA 3D REVELATOR

info: This driver is developed especially for graphics boards of other manufacturers. For ELSA graphics boards please use the corresponding ELSA driver

based on NVIDIA\'s driver release 375

It supports fullscreen OpenGL games in stereo mode with ELSA 3D REVELATORwith NVIDIA TNT/TNT2-M64/TNT2.

The 3D REVELATOR can now support special internet applications like VRML with a D3D plug-in

tested graphic adapters :

DIAMOND Viper 550

DIAMOND Viper 770

DIAMOND Viper 770 Ultra

CREATIVE 3D Blaster RIVA TNT

CREATIVE 3D Blaster RIVA TNT2 Ultra

CREATIVE 3D BLASTER ANNIHILATOR

we cannot ensure the compatibility of our driver when using other then above listed graphic adapters based RIVA TNT, TNT2 , TNT2-M64 ,TNT2 Ultra,GeForce 256 or GeForce2 GTS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That´s from http://www3.elsa.de/www/filearea.nsf/files/557A1D16A6865317412568880047FB99?opendocument

However, I do have an ELSA board, so I can´t judge if this statement is valid or not.

Helge

------------------

- The DesertFox -