I know many of you flame Saving Private Ryan for several historical and technical mistakes but I hold it as one of the more dramatic and visually stimulating movies of WWII. I have often wondered why a particular sceane in the movie always "WOW"ed me so much and now I think I figured it out. I am talking about the part when the squad is walking through the field and the halftrack (251??) surprises them. The amazing thing is that, without EVER cutting to a different camera (which tells me that they got it all in one long take), the halftrack is scouting the field, the first (missed) bazooka shot, the second (hit) bazooka shot (with impressive pyros), the halftrack comming to a halt (knocked out), the short firefight on one flank, and the final firefight on the other flank. Then Capt. Miller meets the bazooka team! All in one long take with tons of action! This really impressed me because of the continuity factor. For those of you with the movie on tape or DVD you can confirm this yourself. Nice work.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

Anyone have the DVD? What extra goodies do you get?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An "Exclusive" message from Steven Spielberg.

Production Notes

Cast and Filmmakers' bios

2 Theatrical trailers

Saving Private Ryan - "Into the Breach" (don't know what this is, haven't looked at it yet, and I'm too lazy to check right now)

Thats all.

Well, if you noticed that one long tracking shot, you probably already noticed the 2 kinds of filming at work in SPR: Most of the movie is the pretty traditional fare, but whenever a fire-fight comes about we're treated to the hand-held-documentary-camera version of SPR --- as exemplified in the SPW 251 ambush sequence. Kinda puts the audience in the action...

Indeed SPR is one of the best WWII movie. But a funny stuff I've noticed (perhaps already told on this board...but I'm to lazzy to check the archives this morning) is during the scene when they strike the mortar shells to throw them on the Germans. If you look carefuly or pause this sequence you'll notice Cpt Miller has 2 hand grenades on his belt left...why hasn't he used them ?? (can be realistic though...combat situation stress can obviously disturb all logical behaviours)

Have all a nice weekend !:)

Stephan

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

I know many of you flame Saving Private Ryan for several historical and technical mistakes but I hold it as one of the more dramatic and visually stimulating movies of WWII. I have often wondered why a particular sceane in the movie always "WOW"ed me so much and now I think I figured it out. I am talking about the part when the squad is walking through the field and the halftrack (251??) surprises them. The amazing thing is that, without EVER cutting to a different camera (which tells me that they got it all in one long take), the halftrack is scouting the field, the first (missed) bazooka shot, the second (hit) bazooka shot (with impressive pyros), the halftrack comming to a halt (knocked out), the short firefight on one flank, and the final firefight on the other flank. Then Capt. Miller meets the bazooka team! All in one long take with tons of action! This really impressed me because of the continuity factor. For those of you with the movie on tape or DVD you can confirm this yourself. Nice work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! All I want to know is, "Who's doin' the shootin', who's doin' the shootin'?!" as eloquently spoken by Sgt. Horvath, or actor Tom Sizemore. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Germanboy

Just watched the last 40 minutes of 'Hell is for heroes', a 1962 flick by Don Siegel, w/Steve McQueen and James Coburn. Must say I enjoyed that much more than SPR. It is B&W so they used original footage for arty and some sequences involving Germans. CM scenario size and no 'America America!' ending. It is for sale for $10.99 here http://www.videoflicks.com/VF2/1009/1009457.ihtml

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

Tom Servo I agree, I can hear an loud WW2 engine a km away wink.gif

ccj<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course if you were bright and chipper, but could you after all that stress, marching, and lack of sleep?

MCab

Guest Babra

add in the constant drone of aircraft, naval shelling somewhere, other artillery... I'll bet their ears were ringing for weeks.

------------------

It's "BAB-ra!"

Germanboy:

I thought the SPR ending was much deeper than "America, America"...it was a story of a veteran reflecting on his life, for which comrades gave theirs, and attempting to measure it against a very high standard. It could have been told by other nationalities and at other times with equally important reflection.

Howitzer

Well said. I think the opening of the movie is just as powerful as any of the action scenes. I knew it would happen but when the camera started to pan across that sea of white crosses I had to start wiping out the eyeballs a little bit. I guess you can find fault with some of the equipment or tactics or other actions in the movie if you want. I saw it twice and now have the DVD.

The first time I saw it with my wife there were several groups of high school kids in line and they were clowning around and being loud (as a high school kids will do). I never heard one peep out of them once the movie started. At the end of the movie there was just silence and nobody moved for a while. A guy at work has a younger brother that works part time at a theater and he told him it was that way every time.

------------------

Rick614

No doubt, Rick.

I had the same experience in my neck of the woods. It isn't very often that an audience sits and watches the credits roll while reflecting on what they just watched.

I remember picking up my kids at my aunt's house after the movie. She asked me, "how was the movie?" I opened my mouth but very few words could come out. I'd never been speechless after watching a movie before.

I saw it 3 times in the theatre and now watch it at home on the VCR every so often. It may not have been the most realistic portrayal of battle tactics in a movie but it did a great job of telling a story and gripping the audience by the seat of the pants. I got my money's worth.

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Spielberg says he got the idea for the opening (and closing) sequences from a trip he made to the Normandy WW2 Memorial cemetary back in the late '70's. He says he witnessed an old man (with multiple family generations in tow) slowly walk up and down the rows of markers until he found the one he had been searching for, and then fall to his knees in tears...

Back then, I was young and stupid. being a bona fide WWII movie critic, I expected to have fun picking away all the small things that came up. Then, the crosses showed up and a started tearing a little. That was okay though. I was always patriotic. Then though, the ramp lowered and BY GOD! I was cowering in my seat for about 15 minutes, cringing and closing my eyes and I felt so helpless. The same was much true in the final battle. I didn't notice that the Tiger wasn't 100% real. IT LOOKED REAL THEN! Especially when it was rolling into all the craters and making that awful squeaking sound.

The end scene just did it for me. I didn't say a word for about 3 hours.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>They didn't here them. The sniper spotted them from the church tower.

All American<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, so you don't remember the rumbleing sound they heard before the guy in the tower told them what it was?

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

"Tomorrows killed by yesterday..." -Link80

Go to my soldiers at war page~!! http://www.geocities.com/soldiersat_war or I'll sick a goat on you!

[This message has been edited by Tom Servo (edited 03-11-2000).]

I hate to admit it, but in spite of it's flaws, no other movie (of any genre) left me so affected both during, and for several days after, as SPR did. (I don't think any movie has ever stayed with me longer than the walk to the car - until this one).

I came away with the sense that I finally have felt some of the sights, sounds, and experiences of those unfortunate to have been there.

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 03-11-2000).]

I don't cry at movies. I tease my wife when she does it. " Don't worry honey, they will be in another movie." Thank god I watched SPR without her. Those scenes in the cemetery had me wiping tears from eyes. I felt like I had a golfball lodged in my throat.And the Normandy landing scenes were real enough for me.

Guest Babra

oh jeez... yer all makin' me retch now. rolleyes.gif Cryin' at movies, ya bunch of pansies...

Okay, maybe Old Yeller... wink.gif

------------------

It's "BAB-ra!"