Armour and Panzer and 88.....oh my!

Howdy folks,

I'm a long time lurker and, like everyone else, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of CM. A couple of posts started me thinking (which is hardly EVER a good thing). One post on usenet refered to CM as the true computer version of Squad Leader, as opposed to the upcoming Hasbro title Squad Leader which is apparently Chaos Gate with Thompsons instead of Bolters, the other was on this forum asking if Hidden & Dangerous might have been part of the inspiration for

CM.

Yes, Yes, I'm getting to the point! smile.gif

It suddenly popped into my head that CM is more of a computer version of the Yaquinto games Armour, Panzer, and 88. I did do a search on Yaquinto and on Excalibre (who reissued the games and completely screwed up the counters) but came up with nothing. So bascially I'm asking if anyone agrees with me and find out who else might've played these games. For those of you who don't know these series of games had a scale of 1 counter/vehicle or squad, had preplotted movement (you'd write your orders out each turn), and had a nifty set of charts for determining hits/damage, basically you'd determine the angle of the attack, whether the shot was rising, level, or falling, and then determine the penetration against the armor value. Since I really enjoyed playing these games I'm now even more excited about CM's release. Oh yes I should also mention that the games included sighting ranges so that you couldn't fire at any unit that you wouldn't have been able to 'see' even if you had LOS. They're cool games and I wish I had the time to set them up again.

CardinalFang

A Long Time Online Red Baron 3D pilot and Had Difficulty Not Starting the Post With a S! smile.gif

I remember a Yaquinto eastern front game- Stalingrad?- that I really liked. I believe the turret had its own counter (???) on the tanks.

All I had played till then had been Avalon Hill games, and it seemed like a very innovative and realistic system... that was right before I enlisted, and they were gone by the time I got back into it.

Guest Madmatt

My favorite Yaquinto game was (and is as I still have two copies of it) Marine 2002. I always thought that game backstory would make a good series of military Sci-Fi...

Fun game too...

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Hehe...I still have all three!

Get this --- My friends bought copies too. We would take turns refereeing games between two others. You only saw what your units actually saw. It made you quite paranoid and was the closest thing to CM to simulate FOW.

Yes, they were very cool games. I liked the fact that the caliber of the gun determined whether a kill was made after penetration. It was an advanced game for it's time.

JuJu,

Here's a link to an announcement about it

http://headline.gamespot.com/news/00_04/25_pc_zdnetsquad/index.html

I hope I did the url thingy right.

Mark IV,

The Eastern Front game is Panzer, I have the Excalibre version with me, the Yaquinto game is in storage. It was a very interesting and innovative system. I can't believe I'd forgotten about them. I'm going to have to blow the dust off of them I think. I might compare the stats in those games and in CM to see how close Yaquinto got. (Notice I'm trusting CM's stats to be the most reliable smile.gif ). And yes each tank counter had a turret counter which made Excalibre's decision to reissue the game with counters showing a PROFILE view even more bizarre.

Madmatt (did I get the spelling right? ),

I think I have Marine 2002 around somewhere, it's probably in storage. Wasn't it man-to-man combat on the moon?

Cueball,

Yes, very cool games, my friends and I spent quite a bit of time on that one. I'd forgooten how innovative they were. I also realized, when I reread my post, that I'd said "it had preplotted movement" and then proceeded to define preplotted movement, as if the term wasn't self explanatory. D'oh! Anyway I never had a chance to play a referred game, that would've been too cool!

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who liked these games. How much do you want to bet that by the time I get them all out of storage and dusted off that CM is released and they'll start gathering dust again?

Cardinal Fang

Guest Molyneaux

Yes, have them all and played them over and over ......have about 10 copies of marine2002 in storage back home somewhere lol. My friends and I did a buyout when Yaqiunto went under and had lots of copies of most games, wish I had held on to them frown.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Hello Cardinal Fang (put away that chair! Even if it is comfy I don't want it smile.gif)

CM is actually just CM. I know I have never played any of Yaqunito's games (before my time I think), and I don't think Charles has either. So I can't comment on that one. Hidden and Dangerous... haha smile.gif CM was already over a year in development before we heard about that one. Now... ASL... well... it doesn't really have anything to do with CM since it wasn't used as a reference. However, if comparing Hasbro's ASL to CM, the old AH ASL is certainly closer to CM than to the Hasbro one. CM went towards ultra realism, Hasbro ASL looks like it went the other way.

Steve

Steve,

Okay, Okay, I'll put away the comfy chair. I'll have to give the (dish) rack a turn though. smile.gif

If you get a chance you might want to pick up an old Yaquinto game or two. They were quite intersting, it was a shame to see them go out of business. If you have any interest in WWI air combat than Yaquinto's Wings would be right up your alley. I will go back to anxiously awaiting CM. Hmmmm I have a friend who've I've so far been unsuccesful in bringing into the CM fold. He was an avid player of Yaquinto's games. HEhehehe more ammo for the "conversion". Of course I've no idea why he isn't a rabid CM fan already. I think when I get the complete game that should win him over.

Cardinal Fang

No one Expects The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Guest Madmatt

Yes Marine 2002, had Warsaw Pact and US Marines fighting on the Moon. It also had one of coolest box covers of any SCI-FI Game EVER!

I liked the game as the scenarios had little stories to go along with them that drew you in to the fights. Some neato innovations were the the modes of movement. The counters had letters in each corner of them and you would rotate the counter so the current movement mode was pointing upward. There was ground movement, nape of earth (short bursts with the ole jump jets) and Full Burn which was flying around with a juicy SHOOT ME sign on your back. The weapons were based on (then) scientific theory's on charged particle weapons and the game even had some cool designer notes on the way weapons would have to change in order to necesitate use in space (ie. recoil is a very BAD thing in a near vacuum).

Another notable Yaqinto game was Ironclads (civil war naval). Although no matter what my cool double turreted monitor always got its rudder stuck to the right on turn 3!

They also had a less than spectacular (too complex) space fighter game which had a thrust vectoring movement system. Alas the math behind it proved to be a little too daunting for my adolescent interests. I still have it though....

Yaquinto had a lot of inovations in their game design including the counter trays and the very shape of game box itself. Their departure in the gaming market was mourned by old school tabletop gamers the world around... frown.gif

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-08-2000).]

Guest Kettle Black

S! Cardinal Fang

Old RB3D'ers never die, they play Combat Mission instead.

Are/were you Cardinal Fang in RB3D too? I used nickname Geier (JG1, LE, J5 and KA7). Have we met? Cool to see fellow RB players here anyway.

K-B

RB3D dropout

Madmatt,

That was the game I was thinking about! Time to go to the old storage room (aka Dad's spare room) and start the search!

Yaquinto games I do have lying about,

Panzer (The ugly Excalibre version)

Wings (Both Yaquinto and Excalibre)

Beastlord

TimeWar

Mythology

Shooting Stars (The space fighter game)

Ahhh the days when I had disposable income! Now I have money for Food, Rent, and CM. Though not necassarily in that order. smile.gif

Kettle Black aka Geier

Yep I fly under J37KardinalFang in RB3D. I'm still flying, well crashing really. I'm sure you shot me down once or twice because basically everyone has at some point. smile.gif

Hmmmm must...keep....thread...on.....CM..avoid....

dreaded...."lock"

Damn I can't think of anything that hsan't been covered and I'm not THAT knowledgable to come up with details on something new.

Rats. Maybe it's back to "Lurking and Learning" for me. smile.gif

Cardinal Fang