Where's the M come from?

Can someone answer (what I hope to be) a simple question? U.S. arms and armor are assigned names composed of M and a number: M4 Sherman, M8 Greyhound, M16 rifle, M1 rifle. Can 1) someone explain to me where this M comes from and how the number is assigned, and 2) how it is that the M crosses between tanks and rifles. I would expect a different letter for each (so that it's obvious which you're talking about). If I'm not mistaken, isn't there an M1 Abrams tank as well as an M1 Rifle? Just looking for any information I can get. Thanks.

Guest ckoharik

IIRC the M in the designator stands for Model. As for the sequence that is usually derived from the sequence in the acquisition timeline. Each category of weapon also has it's own sequence, hence the ability to have an M1 rifle and an M1 tank. All in all it's a pretty weird system for doing things, but that's the U.S. Department of Defense for you, masters of the $200 hammer. wink.gif

As for M being Model, that's good info. I didn't know and that makes perfect sense. As for the rest about sequenceing...that's the explanation that I guessed at, figuring it couldn't be true because it made little sense. But now that you mention the US DoD, it's all so much clearer now. Thanks for the info.

The numbering system is all to hell. They count until they get fed up, and then go back to the beginning because it sounds cooler.

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'