Another Tungsten Thread

I just read the TCP/IP thread and I was happy to hear that TCP/IP is almost upon us. I was also pleased to hear that the point value for attacks etc... have been tweaked, they were a little off IMO. What I was surprised to see was that tungsten usage was not addressed.

There is still hope though. Unless I've managed to delude myself very quickly that is only the beta of the TCP/IP patch and there's still an oportunity for Steve and Charles to bump up T-round usage.

So: Please increase the willingness of allied tank crews to use their tungsten rounds. Thank you.

Guest KwazyDog

Yes Major, that one has been looked at, in fact for every point Steve has mentioned there is probably another half dozen smaller ones that have also been looked at smile.gif

I saw an M10 crew fire tungsten at a Tiger over long range just recently actually. It hit and penetrated the armour, but unfortuantely didnt kill the beast.

Great News

Thanks KwazyDog

Most of us here aren't saying give those Allied tanks more Tungsten, in fact some here might say even 1 or 2 rounds for every TD in a given battle or scenario may be too much as the availability of the stuff was scarce I understand. (but I like it just fine the way it is now smile.gif availability wise)

BUT.... "For the LOVE of GOD " Let them fire the damn rounds they do have, EVEN at a mistaken target, EVEN if they think that Pzkpw Mark IV is a "Tiger" if they bounce just one round off any armoured surface just please, please let the next round into the breach be tungsten "for the Love of God"!

Thanks of the the update Dan

-tom w

KwazyDog,

Thank you for the reply. I would be curious to know how much the tank crews' willingness to fire T-rounds has been increased and in what way. Obviously the old method of waiting for a certain ratio of T-rounds to AP rounds to be reached was flawed in a serious way. If there are any qualitative (or preferably quantitative) descriptions of how the tank crews' behavior has been changed I would greatly appreciate you posting it.

You have no idea how ecstatically happy I would be if I ever saw any of my tanks fire two (count 'em TWO) T-rounds in a single game. I bet we could start a thread longer than that 88 long accuracy thread with just people posting about how they had a [insert American tank] with [too goddamn many]Tungsten rounds that bounced many rounds off of a panther or tiger or whatever and then got knocked out without firing a single T-round.

Guest Big Time Software

I don't know the specifics, but if a tank has even ONE Tungsten round it will be more likely to use it than with previous versions. From what I recall, Charles adjusted the "knowledge" level of the TacAI's simulated tank commander rules of engagement.

Right now the tank commander looks at something like a Tiger and thinks "Gee, I only have one Tungsten round. I need to save that. If we can just hit the driver's vision slot we can knock that bastard out, so keep the Tungsten in reserve". Now it is more likely to say, "HOLY CRAP!! That is a Tiger!! CRAP!! AP is just bouncing off it. Fire Tungsten at the bastard, I don't care if we only have one!!". In other words, the tank commander won't waste a special round (i.e. firing to estimate distance), but once it feels like it has a good chance to hit the round will be loaded and fired.

Steve

Thank you. Thank you very much. Thank you very very much. This really has made my night. I've got to get up in the morning and get to the airport to get to Chicago to spend the week with the family and I was hoping to get some good word on the CM front before that oh so long stretch of CM deprivation. Once again: Thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

...Now it is more likely to say, "HOLY CRAP!! That is a Tiger!! CRAP!! AP is just bouncing off it. Fire Tungsten at the bastard, I don't care if we only have one!!"...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's good to read that the TacAI's IQ just increased. Thanks for listening to the troops. smile.gif

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

I don't know the specifics, but if a tank has even ONE Tungsten round it will be more likely to use it than with previous versions. From what I recall, Charles adjusted the "knowledge" level of the TacAI's simulated tank commander rules of engagement.

Right now the tank commander looks at something like a Tiger and thinks "Gee, I only have one Tungsten round. I need to save that. If we can just hit the driver's vision slot we can knock that bastard out, so keep the Tungsten in reserve". Now it is more likely to say, "HOLY CRAP!! That is a Tiger!! CRAP!! AP is just bouncing off it. Fire Tungsten at the bastard, I don't care if we only have one!!". In other words, the tank commander won't waste a special round (i.e. firing to estimate distance), but once it feels like it has a good chance to hit the round will be loaded and fired.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect!

I don't think we could really ask for anything more.

Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks

Really really big thanks on that one!

smile.gif

-tom w